Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Wiring two lights on separate switches then outlets

I'm running some wiring in my basement. My electrician will connect everything but I'm running the wires. I need to wire a bedroom light then a living room light then some outlets.

I'm planning on running the feed wire to the first light box. From there I know I connect the neutral to the light and wire connect the hot (black) to the white wire going to the switch, then bring the black one back to the switch for the power.

I need to go from this to the next light and am wondering what the best way is to do this. Can I just connect a third wire in the first light box using wire connectors and bring it to the next light outlet? If so the first light box would have two black and one white wire wire connected together, the white running to the switch for that light. The first light box would also have two neutral wires together along with a pigtail going to that first light fixture.

Is this correct? if not what should it look like?

Thanks!

Lemkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Also to add. If what I said above is correct, will the light box be grounded with a pigtail as well seeing as how the ground needs to go to the switch?

Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
TTW

Rewards Points: 250

if possible, it would be easier to bring power to the switch first, then to each light. Code now requires a neutral in a switch box. If you go to a light first you would have to run 14-3 or 12-3 (both have a ground). If you bring power to the switch first, you would only need much cheaper 14-2 or 12-2, but you might need More of it. Depending on how much more, you might not save money. Can you post some pics?

Since you are having a pro do it, I assume it will be inspected and you don't want to have to pull it out and start over...
#1 - If you don't know what you're doing - get a licensed electrician!
#2 - If you follow my advice and something bad happens see # 1
Electricity bites hard, and it could be the last thing you feel... Good Luck!
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTW View Post
if possible, it would be easier to bring power to the switch first, then to each light. Code now requires a neutral in a switch box. If you go to a light first you would have to run 14-3 or 12-3 (both have a ground). If you bring power to the switch first, you would only need much cheaper 14-2 or 12-2, but you might need More of it. Depending on how much more, you might not save money. Can you post some pics?

Since you are having a pro do it, I assume it will be inspected and you don't want to have to pull it out and start over...
The wiring will be inspected and exactly I want to make sure I have the right wires in the right places.

I can run to the first switch first without a problem. but from that switch I'd need a wire running to that light and another running to the next switch. Would the feed wire be pigtailed to the switch then a wire running from the switch to the light box? also with the feed wire connected to the wire going to the next switch?
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie

The wiring will be inspected and exactly I want to make sure I have the right wires in the right places.

I can run to the first switch first without a problem. but from that switch I'd need a wire running to that light and another running to the next switch. Would the feed wire be pigtailed to the switch then a wire running from the switch to the light box? also with the feed wire connected to the wire going to the next switch?
are you running a three way circuit if u are what you just described would be a code violation, MUST have a nuetral at each switch location
eastcoastsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemkie View Post
I'm running some wiring in my basement. My electrician will connect everything but I'm running the wires. I need to wire a bedroom light then a living room light then some outlets.

I'm planning on running the feed wire to the first light box. From there I know I connect the neutral to the light and wire connect the hot (black) to the white wire going to the switch, then bring the black one back to the switch for the power.

I need to go from this to the next light and am wondering what the best way is to do this. Can I just connect a third wire in the first light box using wire connectors and bring it to the next light outlet? If so the first light box would have two black and one white wire wire connected together, the white running to the switch for that light. The first light box would also have two neutral wires together along with a pigtail going to that first light fixture.

Is this correct? if not what should it look like?

Thanks!
I do not mean to throw a wrench in your thought process ... but you do not understand what cables to pull and to where. Your electrician is going to charge you more to fix your mistakes. You would be much better off letting the electrician know what you are wanting for your design and let him install everything.
Lastly most electricians are going to cringe knowing that a home owner is going to install the wiring and most will not allow it. It really makes no common sense to do what you are proposing.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubbie For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubie View Post
I do not mean to throw a wrench in your thought process ... but you do not understand what cables to pull and to where. Your electrician is going to charge you more to fix your mistakes. You would be much better off letting the electrician know what you are wanting for your design and let him install everything.
Lastly most electricians are going to cringe knowing that a home owner is going to install the wiring and most will not allow it. It really makes no common sense to do what you are proposing.
I was thinking the same thing, to the OP, you are basically wasting your time, and not saving a dime. You need to put a value on your own labor, and I bet it ends up costing you three times as much doing it yourself...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
TTW

Quote:
I think you got it.

Will this be a 15 or 20 amp circuit?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

I think this is what you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring two lights on separate switches then outlets-2lightsandoutlet.jpg  
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastsparky View Post
are you running a three way circuit if u are what you just described would be a code violation, MUST have a nuetral at each switch location
It's not a three-way. It's two switches running two lights separately. One for each light.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTW View Post
I think you got it.

Will this be a 15 or 20 amp circuit?
Thanks. It's a 15 amp circuit.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave632 View Post
I think this is what you want.
This looks to be it. Can the neutrals be wire connected together in the light boxes?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #13

Quote:
This looks to be it. Can the neutrals be wire connected together in the light boxes?
In the box for each light fixture, connect the black from the cable to the black from the fixture (with a wire nut) and connect the white (neutral) from the cable to the white from the fixture, also using a wire nut.

Also, I didn't show the ground wires. They should all be wire-nutted together in each box.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #14

I added the wire nuts in the light fixtures to the previous drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring two lights on separate switches then outlets-2lightsandoutlet.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
TTW

Quote:
Thanks. It's a 15 amp circuit.
Use 14 gauge wire then.