Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch

Hi everyone,
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm looking to wire some floodlights to a custom box with switches or some other alternative (suggestions?) that can be activated/deactivated from the box for my band.

I'd like to have a strobe light on both sides of the drum set activated with one switch, and then one flood light on each side of the drum set.

I have a picture that I'll attach as well.

Basically, all I want is to plug the lights into some outlets in the box and have them wired to the switches.
I want the strobes lights to be activated with one switch, I think I can figure that part out.
And I want a triple switch for the floodlights.
The left switch to control the left light, the right switch to control the right light, and the middle switch to control them both at the same time.
I'm not sure about how to wire that.
I had one year of experience with residential wiring in my building trades class and even though I was one of the best in my class, a year and a half later I almost completely forgot how to do this stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch-blah.jpg  

chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Electrician

Is this the box and switches you're using?

ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
Is this the box and switches you're using?
yeah its roughly what it's gonna look like and im hoping i can accomplish this with just the two switches

its just gonna be made out of wood and have a plexiglass top
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjardine12 View Post
yeah its roughly what it's gonna look like and im hoping i can accomplish this with just the two switches

its just gonna be made out of wood and have a plexiglass top
Ok the way I would do it would be using 2 duplex outlets, break the connecting peice on one so that its 2 circuts. Then using 2, 3 conductor cables 14\3 or 12\3 SJO cord or some other hard service cord, I assume you want to move this thing around. Connect up the Red of one to the hot, than to the switch, same with the black and white only you should mark the white with black tape. Then with the other cord connect the red to the other side of the switch with red on it and connect the other side to the outlet. Ill try and get a pic of what I mean to you because explaining it sounds confusing.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Tool Geek

The way I look at it the center switch would have to be a 2 pole switch.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #6

I asked this question on a music forum a while ago. This person is the one who recommended those switches and he said this:
"To do your A/B/both switches for your flood lights, we wire three switches. First switch comes from power source. From that switch, it goes to two separate switches. Those separate switches each control one flood light. This makes the first switch a Master switch, then the other two turn on each light ONLY when the Master switch is on. This way, you can turn off the Master, then turn on both A and B, then turn on the Master to have em both come on at the same time. Or, keep the Master on, and activate A and B whenever you need them."
Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
I asked this question on a music forum a while ago. This person is the one who recommended those switches and he said this:
"To do your A/B/both switches for your flood lights, we wire three switches. First switch comes from power source. From that switch, it goes to two separate switches. Those separate switches each control one flood light. This makes the first switch a Master switch, then the other two turn on each light ONLY when the Master switch is on. This way, you can turn off the Master, then turn on both A and B, then turn on the Master to have em both come on at the same time. Or, keep the Master on, and activate A and B whenever you need them."
Sorry I thought you had three, The way you just said it is correct.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Electrician

Do you still need a diagram to explain it?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Do you still need a diagram to explain it?
yeah i think i could probably use it just in case
and since its gonna have to be portable and everything would i just buy a little circuit box with a breaker for the strobes and a breaker for the floodlights, and then just make a power chord for the box so it can be plugged in at the venue?

ive never actually wired a triple switch, or even a double switch, but like i said, a year and a half ago i could have probably taught myself how to do it cause it was the easiest thing in the world for me to do. i was one of probably 30 people that didnt get shocked throughout the whole year haha

ive also never used duplex outlets either

so id go from the box to the outlet, correct? then from the outlet to the middle switch?
idk i think im making it more confusing than it really is
but if you can provide a diagram that would be amazing =]
Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Electrician

Quote:
yeah i think i could probably use it just in case
and since its gonna have to be portable and everything would i just buy a little circuit box with a breaker for the strobes and a breaker for the floodlights, and then just make a power chord for the box so it can be plugged in at the venue?

ive never actually wired a triple switch, or even a double switch, but like i said, a year and a half ago i could have probably taught myself how to do it cause it was the easiest thing in the world for me to do. i was one of probably 30 people that didnt get shocked throughout the whole year haha

ive also never used duplex outlets either

so id go from the box to the outlet, correct? then from the outlet to the middle switch?
idk i think im making it more confusing than it really is
but if you can provide a diagram that would be amazing =]
Sure, it might be tomorrow though, before I can get it to you. Do you think you'll need your own breaker, would you be pluging anything else into this?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Electrician

And would you be putting everything in one box? Switches, Outlets, Breaker (if needed?)
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Sure, it might be tomorrow though, before I can get it to you. Do you think you'll need your own breaker, would you be pluging anything else into this?
I'm not sure, all I'm plugging into it is the lights and then i'm plugging the whole system into a plug at the venue.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Electrician

You will proabaly want to invest in one of these also for the feed plug. http://www.drillspot.com/products/42...Gfci_Line_Cord
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Electrician

Quote:
I'm not sure, all I'm plugging into it is the lights and then i'm plugging the whole system into a plug at the venue.
I would think the circut protection they have would be enough for two lights, and the gfci cord end would protect you.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #15

Quote:
I would think the circut protection they have would be enough for two lights, and the gfci cord end would protect you.
Well there's actually four lights, but that probably won't make a difference will it?