Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Share |
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Hi everyone,
The title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm looking to wire some floodlights to a custom box with switches or some other alternative (suggestions?) that can be activated/deactivated from the box for my band.


I'd like to have a strobe light on both sides of the drum set activated with one switch, and then one flood light on each side of the drum set.

I have a picture that I'll attach as well.


Basically, all I want is to plug the lights into some outlets in the box and have them wired to the switches.
I want the strobes lights to be activated with one switch, I think I can figure that part out.
And I want a triple switch for the floodlights.
The left switch to control the left light, the right switch to control the right light, and the middle switch to control them both at the same time.
I'm not sure about how to wire that.
I had one year of experience with residential wiring in my building trades class and even though I was one of the best in my class, a year and a half later I almost completely forgot how to do this stuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch-blah.jpg  

chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Is this the box and switches you're using?

ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
Is this the box and switches you're using?
yeah its roughly what it's gonna look like and im hoping i can accomplish this with just the two switches


its just gonna be made out of wood and have a plexiglass top
chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjardine12 View Post
yeah its roughly what it's gonna look like and im hoping i can accomplish this with just the two switches


its just gonna be made out of wood and have a plexiglass top
Ok the way I would do it would be using 2 duplex outlets, break the connecting peice on one so that its 2 circuts. Then using 2, 3 conductor cables 14\3 or 12\3 SJO cord or some other hard service cord, I assume you want to move this thing around. Connect up the Red of one to the hot, than to the switch, same with the black and white only you should mark the white with black tape. Then with the other cord connect the red to the other side of the switch with red on it and connect the other side to the outlet. Ill try and get a pic of what I mean to you because explaining it sounds confusing.
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Tool Geek
 
PaliBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Palisades CA
Posts: 2,488
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


The way I look at it the center switch would have to be a 2 pole switch.
__________________
Disclaimer
& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


I asked this question on a music forum a while ago. This person is the one who recommended those switches and he said this:
"To do your A/B/both switches for your flood lights, we wire three switches. First switch comes from power source. From that switch, it goes to two separate switches. Those separate switches each control one flood light. This makes the first switch a Master switch, then the other two turn on each light ONLY when the Master switch is on. This way, you can turn off the Master, then turn on both A and B, then turn on the Master to have em both come on at the same time. Or, keep the Master on, and activate A and B whenever you need them."
chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjardine12 View Post
I asked this question on a music forum a while ago. This person is the one who recommended those switches and he said this:
"To do your A/B/both switches for your flood lights, we wire three switches. First switch comes from power source. From that switch, it goes to two separate switches. Those separate switches each control one flood light. This makes the first switch a Master switch, then the other two turn on each light ONLY when the Master switch is on. This way, you can turn off the Master, then turn on both A and B, then turn on the Master to have em both come on at the same time. Or, keep the Master on, and activate A and B whenever you need them."
Sorry I thought you had three, The way you just said it is correct.
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Do you still need a diagram to explain it?
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
Do you still need a diagram to explain it?
yeah i think i could probably use it just in case
and since its gonna have to be portable and everything would i just buy a little circuit box with a breaker for the strobes and a breaker for the floodlights, and then just make a power chord for the box so it can be plugged in at the venue?

ive never actually wired a triple switch, or even a double switch, but like i said, a year and a half ago i could have probably taught myself how to do it cause it was the easiest thing in the world for me to do. i was one of probably 30 people that didnt get shocked throughout the whole year haha

ive also never used duplex outlets either

so id go from the box to the outlet, correct? then from the outlet to the middle switch?
idk i think im making it more confusing than it really is
but if you can provide a diagram that would be amazing =]
chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjardine12 View Post
yeah i think i could probably use it just in case
and since its gonna have to be portable and everything would i just buy a little circuit box with a breaker for the strobes and a breaker for the floodlights, and then just make a power chord for the box so it can be plugged in at the venue?

ive never actually wired a triple switch, or even a double switch, but like i said, a year and a half ago i could have probably taught myself how to do it cause it was the easiest thing in the world for me to do. i was one of probably 30 people that didnt get shocked throughout the whole year haha

ive also never used duplex outlets either

so id go from the box to the outlet, correct? then from the outlet to the middle switch?
idk i think im making it more confusing than it really is
but if you can provide a diagram that would be amazing =]
Sure, it might be tomorrow though, before I can get it to you. Do you think you'll need your own breaker, would you be pluging anything else into this?
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


And would you be putting everything in one box? Switches, Outlets, Breaker (if needed?)
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
Sure, it might be tomorrow though, before I can get it to you. Do you think you'll need your own breaker, would you be pluging anything else into this?
I'm not sure, all I'm plugging into it is the lights and then i'm plugging the whole system into a plug at the venue.
chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


You will proabaly want to invest in one of these also for the feed plug. http://www.drillspot.com/products/42...Gfci_Line_Cord
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #14
Electrician
 
ctsmiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Posts: 186
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjardine12 View Post
I'm not sure, all I'm plugging into it is the lights and then i'm plugging the whole system into a plug at the venue.
I would think the circut protection they have would be enough for two lights, and the gfci cord end would protect you.
ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Default

Wiring two floodlights to a triple switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
I would think the circut protection they have would be enough for two lights, and the gfci cord end would protect you.
Well there's actually four lights, but that probably won't make a difference will it?

chrisjardine12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring double switch for new ceiling fan toolmanwannabe Electrical 17 11-15-2011 09:34 PM
3-Way Switch Wiring MrBill_DIY Electrical 8 09-07-2008 05:53 PM
Wiring a switch, power from outlet Big Bill Electrical 4 09-15-2007 03:59 PM
3-Way Switch Wiring Question bhpizza Electrical 4 08-07-2007 05:51 PM
Basic Switch wiring question; Dimmer to Toggle switch (Pictures included) inspectator Electrical 8 08-07-2007 01:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.