Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring - Two Ceiling Fans One 3-Speed Switch

This is my issue:

My current house has two ceiling fans in the living room. I am not sure the make or model. They were run off a single 4 speed switch. The issue was, when the fans were on high they were like a tornato. However, on any other speed, its like they arent even on.

I went to local home depot and explained the issue. They said they had never heard of a 4 speed fan switch and suggested i replace it with a 3 speed fan switch and see if that fixes the issue. (It didnt).

I asked what else might be wrong and they said the fans might be bad.

That does not make sense since the fans have been like this since they were installed.

Would anyone know what the issue may be? I assume it must have to do with how its wired up.

I would prefer to know all the possibilities before i start taking drywall down (if it comes to that).

nbassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

You could try a rheostat style/dimming switch instead.

AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbassis View Post
This is my issue:

My current house has two ceiling fans in the living room. I am not sure the make or model. They were run off a single 4 speed switch. The issue was, when the fans were on high they were like a tornato. However, on any other speed, its like they arent even on.

I went to local home depot and explained the issue. They said they had never heard of a 4 speed fan switch and suggested i replace it with a 3 speed fan switch and see if that fixes the issue. (It didnt).

I asked what else might be wrong and they said the fans might be bad.

That does not make sense since the fans have been like this since they were installed.

Would anyone know what the issue may be? I assume it must have to do with how its wired up.

I would prefer to know all the possibilities before i start taking drywall down (if it comes to that).
That 4 speed switch is like a dimmer switch. If the fan cord is pulled to the fastest setting, then the 4 speed will slow it down. Sounds to me your switch is bad if it's like a tornado at first and then nothing on other settings. You may find out that it's set on a middle speed and the 4 speed sensor suppresses it to nothing. Or your fan is a one speed only? But it's one of these few issues.
homeprova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Those switches are designed and rated to control only ONE fan. Attempting to control more than one will result in diminished operation, as you discovered.

You may have to use an "infinite" type switch (rated up to 5 Amp), but those can cause the fans to buzz, so beware.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #5

So best option would be to run a swtch for each fan?
nbassis is offline   Reply With Quote