Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

wiring trouble?

Hello all new to the forum site as I found it searching for answers on the net. Signed up and here I am...having some wire trouble with lights......your help is appreciated. Currently in garage we have 2 or 3 lights running from one swith.....were trying to add a motion sensor light to the existing switch by adding another pole switch....2 way wire with ground current setup as well as new light to switch control....so I need to know how to add another single pole switch to existing single pole switch using same power....(3 way cable) Thank you...sorry for the jumble there lol.

brad25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Contractor

wiring trouble?

brad, why would you want to add another switch to the motion control? Most motion controls can be controlled by flipping the switch in a particular sequence anyway.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

wiring trouble?

If it will work out you have to replace the switch box with a 2-gang box and use the feed to feed both switches.
You have to start by telling us exactly what wires you have in the switch box.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #4

wiring trouble?

hello ok, current switch turns on garage lights....standard black white ground cable. Adding another light (motion sensor) outside of the garage therefore need another switch to control these lights separately.....we have two sinlge pole switches, and a 2 gang box...black white ground to one switch, black white ground to the other switch......only the current switch has the power. How do I add the power to the other switch using current power. Black to black, white to white, ground to ground? on each switch?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

wiring trouble?

So you are saying the original switch only had a black, white & ground going to it?
If this is so it can't be done without a bit of re-wiring or finding a another feed for the new switch.
What you have is a switch loop and this provides NO neutral. The power is brought down on the white and goes back up on the black. The feed is at the light.
Is there a way to access another feed or the feed at the light?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #6

wiring trouble?

so I can't add the power to the existing switch unless I replace the power feed of a 3 way cable to a 4 way....or running the new light straight to the breaker panel? What do you think is easiest without having to rewire current power wiring?