Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring a switch to rope lights

I am interested in any advice or suggestions to wire a switch to rope lights.

I would like to add lighting to the top of my kitchen cabinets. We have about 12" open space between top of cabinets and ceiling. I figured an 18' length of rope lighting would be easy and cheap to add. I could run the power cord down through the inside of the cabinet near the refrigerator and use the outlet behind the fridge as the power source.

I would like to add a switch to give us the ability to turn the lights ON/OFF as desired. I could position the switch underneath the cabinet by the refrigerator where it is out of sight yet easy to access.

I have rope lighting similar to what is used for xmas decoration. The input specs are 120V, 60 hZ, 0.45A and 54W.

Could I simply cut the power cord and wire a switch that could be mounted under the cabinets? If so, do I wire the switch on the hot wire or neutral wire?

I appreciate any advice, suggestions or comments.

Take Care,

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Electrical Supplier

Rewards Points: 150

You could wire in a turn dial switch (thumb switch) into the cord, but it CANNOT be mounted. Rope lighting is usually UL listed as temporary lighting. You ALWAYS ALWAYS wire switches to the HOT side for residences.

If you asked me this is what I would tell you to do:

Run a line up to the cabinet for a receptacle (would an electrician verify the clearances needed for this or maximum height of a receptacle in cabinetry please?). Youre going to have to expand a box or wire in another. Change an existing receptacle into a two-gang box where you put a switch in. Thats the safest way to do it. Do it right the first time. Make it neat the first time.

LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Mine are plugged into an outlet & the outlet is switched on/off
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonsElecSupply View Post
You could wire in a turn dial switch (thumb switch) into the cord, but it CANNOT be mounted. Rope lighting is usually UL listed as temporary lighting. You ALWAYS ALWAYS wire switches to the HOT side for residences.

If you asked me this is what I would tell you to do:

Run a line up to the cabinet for a receptacle (would an electrician verify the clearances needed for this or maximum height of a receptacle in cabinetry please?). Youre going to have to expand a box or wire in another. Change an existing receptacle into a two-gang box where you put a switch in. Thats the safest way to do it. Do it right the first time. Make it neat the first time.

L.E.S. .,

The code realted to the cabent is muted on heightwise but a gotcha is you can not cut the cord of rope luminarie at all otherwise you will void the UL however I think there is a approved rope lighting assesory that have a switch on it but not sure if still in market or not.

Otherwise with OP's situation what he can do is open up the recpetale behind the fridge and bring it up to the receptale box above the cabent and run second conductor down to other switch box and run in switch loop format.
That is one option or other option is hookup from lighting circuit not the counter top { SABC } circuit and have a receptale above cabent and drop down XX-2 NM to switch box that way The op have switched receptale there.

However let me give you a stern warning with switched receptales do not use the dimmer on switched receptale unless you have specail receptales to match it { I know Lurton do make them I think at least one more dimmer switch manufacter do make it as well }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Use this. Can't post the pic, just the link.

http://www.doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=557846
Old 12-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Use this. Can't post the pic, just the link.

http://www.doitbest.com/main.aspx?pageid=64&sku=557846
I actually have one of those too
My outlet was installed when the house was built & is actually located IN the kitchen cabinet up high

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote