DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring a switch, power from outlet

16K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Bill 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm confused over some wiring, and I hope you can help.

I'm trying to reinstall a switch that powers an inside outlet, but it is feed from the same outlet it's powering. This outlet is feed from a GFCI outlet in another room.
I have three wires at the switch, Red, Black, and White.

There is another switch (a timer) in this double box for outside lights that I just installed. I ran feed and load (12/2) wires to this timer, off of a dedicated GFCI breaker.
Both GFCI breakers trip, if I hook up the white wire from the outlet to the neutrals of the new circuit. If I leave that white wire off, then the outside lights work fine.

I looked at the outlet that feeds the switch, and there are two white wires on the neutral of the outlet, and the Red one is on the other side of the outlet.

My question is which wires hook to the switch?
Can the black, from the outlet to the switch, be put in with the neutrals of the new circuit? There's only two screws on the switch, and I'm pretty sure the red has to go to one, so it's the black and white I'm confused about.

Thanks for any help,

Bill

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The wires(all of them except the ground) must be kept separate from the exisiting circuit. Do not connect any of them to the white from the new circuit. Connect the black and red to the existing switch. Unless you have more cables you haven't mentioned then the white wire gets capped off and not used.

All the ground must be connected together.

#3 ·
Hi joed,

I agree that they shouldn't be in the new circuit. That's why I wanted to run a new feed, to keep this new circuit dedicated.

But which wires get connected to the switch? At the outlet, all the black wires are wire nutted togeather. At the switch, the black and white wires light a test lamp (hot all the time).

#5 ·
Hi joed,

That seems to have worked! Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Before.... that switch feed the other light (outside porch lamp). I added to other lamps, and wanted it to be a dedicated, GFCI protected circuit.
I guess the white was used as the neutral in the original circuit?? That's what threw me off.

Thanks again,

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.