Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring for swimming pool

I'm planning to install an above ground pool and one of my concerns now is the electrical for the filter. The requirement is 20a120v (with twistlock plug). I looked at my existing panel box, and it seems full (see attached). I've read about using tandem breaker (gfci rated), would that work? How would I find out the right size that will fit my box?

Also, I have an existing outdoor outlet in the back - which is alao gfi rated. I'm thinking to just convert it to a junction box (with an outdoor outlet - in case I will need it for electrical power tools or appliances), and then extend it closer to the pool via approved pvc for underground installation. Will that pass in the inspection?
Attached Images

jomay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Wiring for swimming pool

The NEC has all the info in it you need, along with your local city hall as to what is required for your area. Appliances for pools also have in the manuals the section and info for that section from the NEC printed in them.

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Sparky

Wiring for swimming pool

You appear to have 2 full size (1" spaces available at the bottom of your panel, you need a GE THQL1120GFP (20A 1P GFCI Circuit Breaker)
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #4

Wiring for swimming pool

I think that there's also other NEC requirements for pools. For instance, I think all electrical devices must be farther than 5' from the pool. There can be no overhead wires, and I believe we need a disconnect within 5'.

Hopefully others will correct me if Ii'm wrong.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #5

Wiring for swimming pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
I think that there's also other NEC requirements for pools. For instance, I think all electrical devices must be farther than 5' from the pool. There can be no overhead wires, and I believe we need a disconnect within 5'.

Hopefully others will correct me if Ii'm wrong.

You are absolutely correct. The OP should study article/section 680 in the NEC before installing anything. There are many rules for pools and you must get it right the first time. This is truly a matter of life and death.

You can read the NEC for free on the Internet.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #6

Wiring for swimming pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You can read the NEC for free on the Internet.
The only thing I've found free on the internet is a Draft of the 2008, and I'm not sure if it is the final version.

J.V. do you have a link to a free final copy?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
I ask the impossible!

Wiring for swimming pool

I always find mine by searching for "michigan electrical code" and it can be found in that manner at this link:

www.archive.org/details/​gov.mi.electrical

I don't think MI has any particular amendments, although the link might still have 2005.

I put in our pool 2 houses ago and it's a distant memory, but I put it on a dedicated circuit, put a switch to shut it off at the post I mounted the GFCI outlet on, direct wired the pump off the load side of the gfci.

I used the outlet for a pool light, which plugged in and I had a place on the post to hang the transformer, from which it ran low voltage for the actual bulb.

I'm sure you'd probably have the added requirement from 2008 to use a weatherproof gfci. It will have a WR on the face.

And yep, MI still has 2005 published even though 2008 is in effect here, so be sure to look for a 2008 or a supplement your 2005 reading with a reading of the updates in 2008.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WillK For This Useful Post:
sirsparksalot (05-27-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Wiring for swimming pool

2011 is supposed to be out by July for the McGraw Hill version for the iPhone, due to late revisions
Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #9

Wiring for swimming pool

We're still on the 2005 here, but I use the 2008.

Last edited by sirsparksalot; 05-27-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Wiring for swimming pool

I think that we finally made the 2008 here in my area. I have both the 2005 & the 2008, but go by the latest when working on my house. Better to do it up to the latest code and make sure that the local is okay, then get in trouble adopting a newer code than they want.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #11

Wiring for swimming pool

thanks guys for your inputs. i'll probably be wiring the pool in the next few wks. i'd have to gather tools and materials first - and the permit. the estimate i had to get it thru electricoan is 1k, and i felt thats a little too much considering he'll just pop-in new breakers.

our permit is still based on 2006 ibc NJ. 18" underground via sched 40 pvc, filter has to be at least 5' away, other sockets must be at least 10' away from pool.

one thing i dont get right now, is the term bonding... any of you guys care to explain? my thoughts are just hooking up the ground wire from filter to the body of the pool, but i mit be mistaken...
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Wiring for swimming pool

Bonding is like handshaking, hugging your buddy. Basically it is a piece of wire as specified in either the manual of the equipment, or the rules by your AHJ at a certain awg to connect between the equipment and a ground. Keep in mind how close your neighbors are, and if you have a HOA, because they can cause your pool to become more of a headache, especially those neighbors that think they are instantly invited all the time to use it.

Also, check to make sure if you need an alarm on the gate & back door, which is usually mandated in insurance policy. With wifi cams being cheap now days, I would get one and set it up to alert you if any activity, especially with the iPhone, there is a app called iCam, which works with multiple cameras. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #13

Wiring for swimming pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy
You appear to have 2 full size (1" spaces available at the bottom of your panel, you need a GE THQL1120GFP (20A 1P GFCI Circuit Breaker)
is there a 20a tandem breaker for ge?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #14

Wiring for swimming pool

[QUOTE="gregzoll"]Bonding is like handshaking, hugging your buddy. Basically it is a piece of wire as specified in either the manual of the equipment, or the rules by your AHJ at a certain awg to connect between the equipment and a ground. Keep in mind how close your neighbors are, and if you have a HOA, because they can cause your pool to become more of a headache, especially those neighbors that think they are instantly invited all the time to use it.

[\QUOTE]

is it true that i need 8' grounding/bonding rod for the pool, filter or lights?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Wiring for swimming pool

Nope.,

If you read the NEC code art 680 this is covered very well but be aware there is early verison and later verison { 2005 or before is early while 2008 and later is later verison }

Plus the local/ state code may add to this so review it and talk to the inspector they will recomend few items along the way.

Merci.
Marc

gregzoll (05-29-2011)