Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring a subpanel using only a 10-2G line feed

I need to replace the entire well pump electrical system as lightning fried everything. I replaced all the components and rewired everything up to the sub panel with a 10-2G with a maximum load of 28 amps. However, my problem is that the line feed coming into the subpanel is underground more than 200 feet away and the meter indicates 240 volts coming in. However I still need to try and add a 110 volt circuit to have a switch for a light and outlet for the sprinkler system to be plugged in. I think I have the wrong sub panel as it is the black plastic GE with 4 circuits as it does not look like I can adapt anything. I wired the outlet and light just like normal, the outlet indicates a open neutral and the light bulb blew. What the heck is wrong, am I missing something? PLEASE HELP!

furnray65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnray65 View Post
I need to replace the entire well pump electrical system as lightning fried everything. I replaced all the components and rewired everything up to the sub panel with a 10-2G with a maximum load of 28 amps. However, my problem is that the line feed coming into the subpanel is underground more than 200 feet away and the meter indicates 240 volts coming in. However I still need to try and add a 110 volt circuit to have a switch for a light and outlet for the sprinkler system to be plugged in. I think I have the wrong sub panel as it is the black plastic GE with 4 circuits as it does not look like I can adapt anything. I wired the outlet and light just like normal, the outlet indicates a open neutral and the light bulb blew. What the heck is wrong, am I missing something? PLEASE HELP!
The problem is not the panel. The problem is you added a 120v light to a 240v circuit. The fact that you did this and don't know why it is wrong tells me you really might be better off having an electrician come in and do the work.

You have NO neutral and CANNOT add a 120v load at this location. You could have installed a panel and gotten both 120v and 240v if you ran 3-wire instead of 2-wire.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Quote:
You wired it with 10-2, as in just two conductors plus ground? Why did you do that? Without the third (neutral) conductor that would normally be used for a subpanel feed, you must choose between either only 120V or only 240V loads. You can't have both. What kind of wire did you use?
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

I gave the poster the answer from other thread and told them to start a new thread so here part of my answer here.,

Quote:
Now you did open a new can of worm 200 feet with 10-2W/G with 28 amp load that is too much for that distance you should use #8 for this one second thing you do not have netural in there so that why the light bulb blew up quick due you have no 120 volts there.

And Jamias use the bare ground conductor for netural that is major no-no for this one.
That one reason why the other guys did gave ya a straight answer on that.

Second thing the distance you will have voltage drop issue.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

I did not run the 10-2G line feed, it was what was there and all I have to use and know there is a way to do it without running a new line feed as it was done before, how it was done, I do not know, but I know it is possible.
I have properly wired all the components up to the sub panel, but getting the line feed and load to work together is not happening. It is impossible to run a new line feed and have to use what I have. I also installed a 8' grounding rod too. I am frustrated, please help!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

also, is there a simple way to get a neutral feed line to the sub panel (piggy back or steal from another circuit) without going all the way back to the original line feed source? as in from another panel or anything?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

surprisingly i ran a test on the line and see no voltage loss at all, running a solid 240 volts on the line feed!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

In order to get both 120 and 240 volt circuit you need a xx-3+ground feeder, not xx-2. Sounds like someone was improperly using the grounding conductor as a neutral.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Licensed electrician

You won't see the voltage drop until there is a load on the circuit.
frenchelectrican (01-24-2012), zappa (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
surprisingly i ran a test on the line and see no voltage loss at all, running a solid 240 volts on the line feed!
If you did not put any load then it will read correct however once you start the pump(s) then you will see the differnce there.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #11

Jim that is what I was thinking too. It was all mickey moused and they had wires hanging from the rafters with string, LOL! So that you know what I am dealing with. I have to have the 220 for the pump, but i also need a 110 for the sprinkler controler too!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Sounds like time for some rewiring.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

If it worked before it was VERY illegal and VERY unsafe!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (01-24-2012), Jim Port (01-24-2012), SD515 (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
also, is there a simple way to get a neutral feed line to the sub panel (piggy back or steal from another circuit) without going all the way back to the original line feed source? as in from another panel or anything?
A 100% certain NO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (01-24-2012), Jim Port (01-24-2012), SD515 (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
JAMAIS

Merci,
Marc