Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring a sub panel to a sub panel

OK i know this has probably been beaten to death, but what i've read doesn't help.

I have a 200amp sub panel in my basement that connects to the main outside the house with just a disconnect breaker that is grounded, inspected and so forth. Now i want to run a sub panel to a work shop about 30 feet away from the 200amp in the same basement. I just want to run a 30amp breaker to a sub panel in the workshop. How do i wire the sub panels.
I'm using 10-3 MC and going to wire the wire to the ground and bare to the neutral bar in the new sub panel. How do i wire the primary sub panel?
Do I wire the white to the ground bar and bare wire to the neutral bar like on the secondary sub panel.

thanks, Joe

MGKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Master Electrician

You meant to say you were going to wire the white to the neutral bar and the bare to the ground bar in the sub panel right? And disconnect any bond between the two that may exist. Also you wire the white to the neutral bar and the ground to the ground bar in the existing panel.

Whatever would make you think they need to reversed?

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
MGKelly (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

thanks Andrew, sorry for the confusion.
the Murray box i purchased didn't come with a ground so i needed to buy one. so both sub panels get wired the same white to the neutral bar and the ground to the ground. The Murray box i bought came with a small metal bonding rod that connects from the neutral then screwed directly to the box with a green screw "that states from 100-220 amps only".

So i won't install that bonding rod in the second sub panel, i don't see anything like a bonding rod in the existing sub panel, but what else would i look for? I've seen a green bonding screws going through the neutral bar, are there other ways to bond the box?

Thanks agian, Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
You meant to say you were going to wire the white to the neutral bar and the bare to the ground bar in the sub panel right? And disconnect any bond between the two that may exist. Also you wire the white to the neutral bar and the ground to the ground bar in the existing panel.

Whatever would make you think they need to reversed?
MGKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
"So I Re-Wired It"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKelly View Post
"The Murray box i bought came with a small metal bonding rod that connects from the neutral then screwed directly to the box with a green screw "that states from 100-220 amps only".

So i won't install that bonding rod in the second sub panel"

Correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKelly View Post
"don't see anything like a bonding rod in the existing sub panel, but what else would i look for? I've seen a green bonding screws going through the neutral bar, are there other ways to bond the box?"
There are other means of bonding, but the Green Screw should not be connected in the first sub panel either.
MGKelly (08-07-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #5

Connecting a sub-subpanel to a subpanel is done in the same fashion as connecting a subpanel to a main panel. Four wires are needed, hot-hot-neutral-ground (or rigid metal or approved flexible metal conduit can substitute for the ground wire).

In all panels downstream of the panel or box with the first main disconnect, grounds and neutrals are kept separate. If the box has only one bus bar (terminal strip) for neutrals and grounds, use it for neutrals and buy a separate bar for the grounds. Scrape enough paint off the back of the panel so the new bar makes good metal to metal contact over its entire underside.

The ground wire in the feed cable or conduit (or the conduit itself if metal and approved) bonds the panels (boxes) themselves.

(Note: The National Electric Code does not use the terms "main panel", "subpanel", etc.)

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-08-2012 at 06:40 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
MGKelly (08-08-2012)