Wiring A Sub Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Wiring a sub panel

I am under the impression that at ANY time after the main panel in a home you must separate your grounds and neutrals. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because I watched a youtube video recently about a guy remodeling a house and running a sub panel to the second story of the home. He said to connect the ground to the neutral lug. I always thought if the panel did not contain a ground bar with it you must buy it separately so you could basically be using a 4 wire feeder cable. The guy in the video stated he was not going to use the bonding screw so it kind of has confused me as to what is correct. Furthermore, what is the exact way to apply this concept in a main panel setting after the meter? Basically I am asking when to use 3 or 4 wire cable and how would you go about grounding in both situation with the ground rod. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

Wiring a sub panel

It was you-tube

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Wiring a sub panel

Yes, I am fully aware of the lack of knowledge on youtube but the guy was saying some factual statements and he seemed sure of what he was doing and was prepared to have it inspected so I wanted to double check my own thoughts on the matter.
ZBat910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 548

Wiring a sub panel

He only SEEMED sure of what he was doing.....actually maybe HE was sure, but he was also wrong.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Wiring a sub panel

You can do a search on this forum for sub-panels and get a wealth of information. It’s probably one of the most previously discussed topics.

To shed some light on your question, the main service disconnect is the ONLY place a connection between neutral and ground is made, barring a few exceptions allowed for existing installations. New installations of sub-panels require 4 wires, and the neutrals and grounds are kept separate. A ground wire in a 4-wire feeder is an equipment grounding conductor, not a grounding electrode conductor.

Ground rods for sub-panels are only required if the sub-panel is installed in a detached building. A sub-panel installed in the same building as the main disconnect doesn’t require additional grounding electrodes.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
jbfan (01-08-2012), Jim Port (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,050

Wiring a sub panel

Did someone add a comment to the Youtube video stating that connecting the ground to the neutral was wrong?
Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

Wiring a sub panel

So exactly how did he connect it? He ran a 4-wire feeder, terminating ground and neutral both on the same isolated terminal bar, and without the bonding screw installed? That's definitely not right. That makes the chassis of the panel ungrounded.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote