Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Wiring Stove from Switch Box

I know there should be a junction box to house the receptacle the stove plugs into... but I was wondering: I just removed the old aluminum wire and ran a new copper wire from the switch panel to the exact stove location. Can I just wire it direct to the stove and eliminate the junction box / receptacle all together? Seems like it would be the easiest way for me as the wire comes right out behind the stove now the way I have run it direct to that location. Anyone see a major problem doing this (other than when I have to move the stove Id have to shut off the Switch and disconnect the cable every time... which I dont move the stove really anyway... once a year maybe to clean thats it.)

Please let me know, thanks!

sleepysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 14

From the way you state it, sounds like you want to directly connect the service wire to the stove wire without using a junction box. This would be a major no no, as all connections must be made in an accessible, rated box.

As for moving the stove, I don't know what switch you are talking about, but if it is the circuit breaker, it is perfectly acceptable to use the circuit breaker as a disconnect for the device. You could then move the stove as far as the wires allowed, which my guess is not very far, which is why most people would elect to install a rated outlet instead of direct wiring the unit. My built in oven is hard wired to a junction box, but of course I never move the built in. My cooktop is also hard wired.

As a note, if you do hard wire it, make sure you use an appropriate, U.L. listed connection for the wires. My cooktop draws 40A, so needed #8 wire, which required a clamp connection tightened using a nut driver.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

No .... I just want to run the copper cable right from the breaker panel directly to the stove .... the wires already there behind the stove and I got a good 4 feet of wire sticking out the wall. So I just want to hook that wire direct into the back of the stove avoiding the need to "plug the stove in" if you know what I mean.
sleepysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 112

You would need to install a disconnect switch unless you can see the breaker from where the stove is located. A plug/receptacle acts as a disconnect for servicing the stove.
J. V. (08-13-2010)