Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a spur for a welder

Hi this is my first post on a forum ever I think so firstly I'd like to say hello to the world. Hello world. Right my query is this: I recently wired up my garage on a sperate ring main to the rest of the house to the consumer unit in my kitchen and put a 32A circuit breaker in incase I wanted to use any moderatly sized tools.

Since putting it in I have bought a small 130 amp arc welder with a rated maximum draw of 30A. I wired the ring main with 2.5 twin and earth which I know as a radial circuit isn't thick enough to carry 30A but as its a ring can I put a heavier duty (say 6mm or 10mm) spur onto it maybe with another seperate fuse box or somthing to power the welder, if, I make sure not to use anything else on that ring at the same time as the welder?

As I understand it I'm spreading the load around both sides of the ring so effectively doubling the amp rating on the wire. And the amp rating on 2.5mm I have seen is around 20-25amps?

Charlie Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
wired up my garage on a sperate ring main to the rest of the house
Are you in England? Rules for electrical installations vary greatly by location so maybe you need to let us know where you are before we start giving you rules for Arizona if you are't in Arizona.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #3

Hi, yeah England. I'm kind of new to domestic electrics so I expect my terminology may sound a bit newb, but I have a general engineering education so can pick this stuff up without to much difficulty.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

It's not so much that. We try to help those with zero experience as well as those with a lot of experience. It's just that most of the guys on here are in the states with a few in Canada. Due to that, the rules you must follow are fairly foreign to most.

There is a poster here(frenchelectrician) that migrates from Wisconsin to France that knows his stuff well.

I sent him a PM (e-mail limited to this forum). He is around quite a bit so keep checking back.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (04-06-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #5

Yeah thanks for that, French regulation is probably the same as English regulation. SI is only in the scientific world over the pond and you use AWG like #13 and #14 instead of saying 2.0 and 2.5mm, and you have romex instead of twin and earth. I started looking at it then though probably best not to get into a standards conversation as it could go on for ever, but still fairly interesting.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Fox View Post
Yeah thanks for that, French regulation is probably the same as English regulation. SI is only in the scientific world over the pond and you use AWG like #13 and #14 instead of saying 2.0 and 2.5mm, and you have romex instead of twin and earth. I started looking at it then though probably best not to get into a standards conversation as it could go on for ever, but still fairly interesting.
G'day Charlie Fox .,

Let me get couple details straight with regulations between the UK and France is not the same in most case.

Now let start with your garage in UK I am not 100 percent if they allow ring circuit in the garage or not that something you need to check with your local codes in France we are NOT allow have any kind of Ring circuit at all it is illegal in France.

Next step the welder we will sized the conductor by duty cycle plus amp rating on primay side.

One major issue you will not able run the 2.5mm˛ very long on welder useage due you can overheat the conductors even thru I know you have 30/32 amp ring mains my main conderstion is that if the ring circuit if one part of ring broke you will overload the conductor pretty quick before the breaker or fuse goes.

Just run 6.0mm˛ spur direct from your CU to the welder socket plus you may have to add a local disconnection switch if your code do required { I am pretty sure they will do that anyway }

I will get a hold one of the UK sparky to verify the UK code to make sure it is legit to run the welder on Ring { which I doubt } so you will get an answer in a day. { you will get this before your sunrise tea }

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Just got the reply from UK sparky and he say no you can not run the welder from the Ring circuit it must be on radial spur.

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, ring, spur, twin, welder