Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring sizes

We are installing a new dishwasher, and I have a quick question about how the old one was wired. I hope someone can straighten me out...

We have the breaker box in the basement. A #10 AWG wire runs from a 30a breaker to a junction box. From the junction box run 2 sets of #12 wire. One set of #12 wire powers the refrigerator. The other set powered the dishwasher.

I'm not an expert but I thought the fridge was supposed to be on a separate breaker. Should I have this checked out? Any help would be appreciated.

jimdoddery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Wiring sizes

This is not correct because the two are protected by a 30A breaker, not because they are both on the same circuit. Simple solution is to replace the 30A breaker with a 20A. Better solution is to run two new circuits for each.

HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #3

Wiring sizes

Thank you very much for your reply. Does that mean 30A is too much? I'm not an electrician, so forgive me for asking dumb questions. I'll need to have another breaker box installed if I need 2 breakers.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 PM   #4

Wiring sizes

There are 2 thing wrong here.
You are not permitted to put standard receptacles on anything larger than a 20 amp circuit.
#12 wire must be protected by 20 amp or smaller breaker.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Wiring sizes

The 30 amp breaker is wrong as Joe and Househelper have said but I'm wondering if that 10 awg is configured as a multiwire circuit? How many conductors are in that 10 awg cable? Are there 3 with a ground wire....should be black red white and bare ground if it is a multiwire. Reason I am wondering is this is a very common wiring practice to run a 3 wire with ground cable to a JB then split out with two other cables. Multiwires are often connected to double pole breakers but may be connected to 2 single poles on opposite legs. If a red wire exists in the junction box I'm betting you have a multiwire circuit. Can you check for how many wires in that 10 awg cable for us? We will explain further if this is the case.

Stubbie

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 10-25-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Licensed Pro

Wiring sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
The 30 amp breaker is wrong as Joe and Speedy have said.....
Speedy?
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Wiring sizes

Sorry Househelper my mistake.... Your names are sooooo close though .....

Post has been edited

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #8

Wiring sizes

You do not have any spare slots for more breakers in your panel. See if all the breakers are being used. Spares are very common.
You should use a seperate breaker for each appliance.

But in reality you can use what you have. Each appliance must be cord and plug or have disconnecting means. And you must change the wire to #10 where it's #12.
You cannot have #12 wire on a 30 amp breaker.

What I have told you is what I would do myself. Not what I would do if you hired me to do it.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #9

Wiring sizes

Quote:
What I have told you is what I would do myself. Not what I would do if you hired me to do it.

I know what you mean...but that sounds really funny.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Electrician philosopher

Wiring sizes

Your house ain't gonna burn down the way it is currently wired.... but it spins electricians heads around!! The absolute simplest solution is to do what house helper said.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #11

Wiring sizes

Thank you everyone, for your advice. I had an electrician come in and take a look at it. He switched out my 30A for a 20A ( I have no spares ) and recommended that in the near future, I need an additional panel, as they should be on separate breakers.

He did tell me that the #10 AWG to the junctions, and #12 from the junctions was not the normal practice, but was not dangerous, and in some electricians points of view, maybe even safer.

Either way, I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you
Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #12

Wiring sizes

If You Need More Breaker Space You Can Always Go To Homedepot And Get A Double Breaker And Seperate The Appliances To Get It To Code As For Subpanel Us Electrician Love To Get For The Money
duke2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
waiting for spring

Wiring sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke2043 View Post
If You Need More Breaker Space You Can Always Go To Homedepot And Get A Double Breaker And Seperate The Appliances To Get It To Code As For Subpanel Us Electrician Love To Get For The Money

duke, not all panels can use the double or slim breakers... best to check panel type/brand and make sure they are compatabile. also, NEVER trust the sales people at homers or lowes... they are hired help with little training.

arichard21 is offline   Reply With Quote