Wiring A Single Pole Wall Switch To A Ceiling Fan And Light. How ? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a single pole wall switch to a ceiling fan and light. How ?

I have a 1930's hunting lodge turned into my home and am installing a ceiling fan and light fixture combination. I have 5 wires coming from a new wall switch for the fan and light control, but I only have a black and a white wire coming from the wall switch box. How do I wire it?

Advertisement

Larry Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lambert View Post
I have a 1930's hunting lodge turned into my home and am installing a ceiling fan and light fixture combination. I have 5 wires coming from a new wall switch for the fan and light control, but I only have a black and a white wire coming from the wall switch box. How do I wire it?
Your post is a little confusing. I think what you are saying is that you have 5 wires coming from the fan and the power supply line is simply a white and black. Is that correct?

The instructions that come with the fan are usually pretty helpful. The reason for the 5 wires in the light/fan is so you can opt to control the functions with separate wall switches. There should also be instructions for wiring all functions to one switch and using the fan controls.

If you could be a little more clear in your description, I would be of more assistance.

Advertisement

bhennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

What brand and model? Post a link to the manufacturer.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I think he means he has purchased a combination switch with light and fan control. The switch has 5 wires. But, there are only two wires coming from the box in the wall.

That is probably a switch loop. Only a standard switch can be used. If there is unswitched power available where the fan is mounted, then a dimmer switch can be used if the fan is connected to the constant power and the light is connected to the dimmer.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote