DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring a Shed and Garage

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  J. V. 
#1 ·
We bought a house and it has a Detached garage and a shed.

the garage is wired by one circuit with the supply line totally exposed to the outside. this is because there is not a very good way to get power to the Garage as the space between the house and Garage is concrete so they just went through the air. the shed does not have any power.

The shed and garage are only a few feet apart. My thought was to go underground to the Shed into a subpanel and then from the shed to the garage underground into another subpanel. I could run a feed from the basement to the shed and come in under the slab.

I will have an electrician help me with this but I want to become informed so I know what they are suggesting and know if it is up to code. I want to be informed :)

My questions are:.

1. What does code say about running a feed underground and what conduit is ok and at what depth?
2. Can I run a feed into a shed subpanel, then run a garage feed from the shed subpanel into a garage subpanel?
4. Can I leave the basement at the proper depth and enter the shed either under the slab or come out of the ground just outside the shed in a proper conduit? Same for the garage

Thanks for any assitance.

See less See more
#2 ·
My questions are:.

1. What does code say about running a feed underground and what conduit is ok and at what depth?
2. Can I run a feed into a shed subpanel, then run a garage feed from the shed subpanel into a garage subpanel?
4. Can I leave the basement at the proper depth and enter the shed either under the slab or come out of the ground just outside the shed in a proper conduit? Same for the garage

Thanks for any assistance.
1) Yes. Conduit is the best way to go. Use PVC.
2) Yes. You can have more than one sub panel.
3) Yes. If you can stub up inside the shed or garage that would make the panel install that much easier.

Search "sub panels" on this forum. There is a wealth of information on your project already discussed previously. Sub panels are a hot topic here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.