Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring a shed

I am planning on wiring my detached shed (about 100 ft. from electrical box) I want to run electrical lawn equipment have a light in the shed and possibly some outdoor lighting. What guage wire should I use? I do understand I will need to use UG wire and dig an 18" deep trench for this and have ANY exposed wiring covered by either metal or PVC conduit. Do I use a 2 or 3 conductor wire?

klimke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Wiring a shed

well it depends if ya want 120 or 240 volts avaiable.if 240 4 wires,if 120 3 wires. the size will depend on the load.a few more details will help.

circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Wiring a shed

i would go with a minnum of # 12 good for 20 amps
circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Wiring a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimke View Post
I am planning on wiring my detached shed (about 100 ft. from electrical box) I want to run electrical lawn equipment have a light in the shed and possibly some outdoor lighting. What guage wire should I use? I do understand I will need to use UG wire and dig an 18" deep trench for this and have ANY exposed wiring covered by either metal or PVC conduit. Do I use a 2 or 3 conductor wire?
a few issues here:
  1. 'UG' is not a conductor type. do you mean UF? or possibly USE (or USE-2)?
  2. burial depth is a function of many factors. will the conductors be direct buried? in rigid or intermediate conduit? in nonmetallic conduit? is it running under a driveway or through the lawn?
  3. you don't necessarily need exposed wiring in raceway, it depends on the conductor type, installation location, etc.
itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

Wiring a shed

The UG I am referring to is the wire that is rated for underground use. the wire will be buried as is under the lawn
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,944

Wiring a shed

Might be best if you went back and added you location to your profile, for all know you could be anyplace on the planet.
Wiring codes can, vary a lot depending on location.
UF= Underground feeder cable
http://wesbellwireandcable.com/UFB.html

You will never regret and anyone else that ever owns that property will thank you to not under power that out building.
Often times needs change and if the shed is under powered the whole thing would have to be done over if more loads were added.
A simple thing like adding a window A/C , small welder, a table saw, using power from the shed to run power to an R/V ECT. could cause brown outs and tripping.
It's always been a pet peeve of mine. I've seen whole 3 car garages wired with A 12-2 feeder wired to roof vents, lights, outlets, garage door openers, which was fine but now he wants to close one room off for a work shop that's heated and cooled.
New he has to go back and run larger wiring and add a panel.
PS he had the power roof vents wired to the light switch, shut off the lights and the fans shut off, not a perfect way of doing it.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wiring a shed

You can't plan for everything that may happen in the future. A three wire to a center ceiling light for a future fan? Sure. A 100A sub in the garage for a future shop? Not so much.

Remember, someone has to pay for it. For the last 6 years, people have been holding their money tight. Even suggesting an upgrade to what a customer wants could loose you that job. It's the first sign that the contractor wants more money and that scares people.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
rjniles (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #8

Wiring a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimke View Post
The UG I am referring to is the wire that is rated for underground use. the wire will be buried as is under the lawn
if you are direct burying the cable, it will need to be 24 inches deep. if you put the cable in pvc conduit, you can get by with 18 inches deep. if the cable is in rigid conduit, it only needs to be 6 inches deep.

depending on how much juice you need at the shed, you might be able to get by with a single 120V (2 wire), 20A GFCI-protected circuit. you can direct-bury such a circuit only 12 inches deep.

lots of options here, depending on what you are trying to accomplish...
Old 09-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

Wiring a shed

I live in British Columbia. Since I am only running low power items the 120v (2 wire) should work. I will have a GFCI installed in the panel as well in the shed (GF Plug)
Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #10

Wiring a shed

yeah, the depths i posted are nec, not sure how close canada is.

if you have a gfci circuit breaker, you don't need a gfci receptacle (at least, not in the us).