Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #1

Share |

wiring a shed

I recently built a 12x14 shed to house my motorcycle,now i`m ready to run power to it.I amrunning the power right from the poll seeing a it has a fuse box right on it,the shed is 90 ft. from the poll.My question is do i have to run the wire in pvc or can i just dig a trench and drop the wire.I have 5 acres in the middle of nowhere and all the wires are above ground so i don`t have to worry about anyone comming in and digging and mucking up my work.

bulldog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

wiring a shed

You can do it any way that you want. Just make sure that you follow the proper codes, etc. As for what you are needing power out there, if you are just turning on lights out there, you could use a battery lantern if you are not up to placing power, due to sheds that size can be considered portable structures. If you have a gen-set, that would work also, instead of running the power. As for what size you will need, you did not say what equipment or loads that you will be needing (ie lights, receptacles, 240 for a fifth wheel, etc.).

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

wiring a shed

i will not be running no heavy loads like a welding machine ad stuff like that i just have a 4 foot flourescent light a grinder for my mower blades,most of my power tools are battery powered although i do have a few that aren`t and maybe a small radio .
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

wiring a shed

You should be fine running #12 UF out there, or go with conduit, especially if you want later on upgrade to a larger circuit, it would make it easier to pull. Just pick your poison. I would though put a gfci outlet out there to be safe.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #5

wiring a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You should be fine running #12 UF out there, or go with conduit, especially if you want later on upgrade to a larger circuit, it would make it easier to pull. Just pick your poison. I would though put a gfci outlet out there to be safe.

Greg, GFCI protection of the receptacle is required.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

wiring a shed

Thanks. I knew that, but figured that I would state it like that to see who I could catch on it. And, if it was not stated to have it, you know someone would end up not putting one on the circuit, and then who's fault is it. It is not ours.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Code05 (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #7

wiring a shed

thanks guys i`m pretty sure i can hook it up i`ve done it in the house dozens of times i`ve just never ran it from the house to a shedor the pole to the shedbut i`ll probablygo w/the pvc sounds like thats the way to go
thanks again
Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

wiring a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog75 View Post
thanks guys i`m pretty sure i can hook it up i`ve done it in the house dozens of times i`ve just never ran it from the house to a shedor the pole to the shedbut i`ll probablygo w/the pvc sounds like thats the way to go
thanks again
If you're going to bury PVC, you might as well use big PVC - 1-1/2" or 2". It doesn't cost much more, and it will let you pull in a heavy feeder later if you eventually decide you want to run shop equipment out there. Nothing's more annoying than re-trenching again in 5-10 years because your conduit isn't quite big enough for the feed to your welder/machine shop/electric car charger/snozzberry juicer.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #9

wiring a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If you're going to bury PVC, you might as well use big PVC - 1-1/2" or 2". It doesn't cost much more, and it will let you pull in a heavy feeder later if you eventually decide you want to run shop equipment out there. Nothing's more annoying than re-trenching again in 5-10 years because your conduit isn't quite big enough for the feed to your welder/machine shop/electric car charger/snozzberry juicer.

Snozzberry juicers require a 347volt supply and are illegal in the lower 48 states.
Code05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

wiring a shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Snozzberry juicers require a 347volt supply and are illegal in the lower 48 states.
I snuck mine in from Canada along with my properly-flushing toilet and adequately-functioning shower head. The diesel genset to power it is a pain though.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Code05 (08-22-2011)