Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring at Service Entrance

Our local inspector requires a four-wire entrance cable from the disconnect to the panel inside (in this case a duplex with both services running up one side. I have the meter bases, disconnects and wires up the side of the duplex using the smaller two-wire with bare ground wrapped in grey sheathing but can't remember how the four wires are to be connected at the disconnect and panel. My father was a master electrician and I worked with him years ago, just need a little memory jog. Thanks so much. Rick

prohandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

You can look at the sticky above for Stubbie's diagrams.

This is the one your looking for http://www.dropshots.com/stubbie4#al...09-04/20:03:00

wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohandyman View Post
Our local inspector requires a four-wire entrance cable from the disconnect to the panel inside
Your local inspector does not require this, the code does. It is the same everywhere and has been for as long as I can remember.

I know I sound like a jerk for always saying this, but don;t you think you should know how to do something BEFORE you go out and do a job like this? For pay. For a customer?
Why not leave jobs like this for a pro? I understand handymen think electrical is no big deal unless you are in some large facility, but EVERY job has codes, requirements and procedures. You should know them in advance.

BTW, Stubbie's diagram is an excellent resource. You should be glad folks like this take the time to do things like this for DIYers.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #4

Wirenut - thanks. Exactly what I needed.

Petey - believe me I get your point and when I said 'inspector' I assumed it would be code since he requires it. He's not stupid.

And like I said, I've got a few years experience with basic residential electric from working with my dad, it has just been a while. I wouldn't think of touching a fancy system on a nice new home with lots of bells and whistles, but this is a basic duplex in the ghetto and I'm helping a friend get it done on budget. He doesn't have $5,000 for a pro like yourself and what he needs does not require a $75/hr master elec., just someone with experience.

It wasn't a problem for our local inspector, so why should it be for you?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

I won't speak for Petey, but will give you my take on this. Too many handyman types think it is OK to do wiring while not knowing enough to do the job correctly or to code. Some also just see the elctircal portion of a job as a way to add profit to their pocket instead of a tradesperson, heck as long as it works what can be the problem?

When a licensed electrician gives a price that includes experience, knowledge of the code and proper materials the HI wonders why the price is so different and doesn't see the true costs of running a business that specializes.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #6

I get that Jim. I know a few jack-of-all-trades that have no business around a panel, but like I said, I have some years experience with electric. I know the difference between 12-2, 10-3, and 6-2. I know how many receptacles to put on a circuit. I know how to run lights in parallel, height of boxes, smoke detectors and all that.

Believe me there is enough work in my town for licensed electricians. But when a friend is on a tight budget, have you not dropped your price a little as a favor? There is not one 'creative' item on this job. It's straight four receptacles to a room, one light in the middle of the ceiling with a switch by the door, kitchen appliances, GFCI's and a light and outlet by each exterior door.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

is your friend even legally allowed to work on the duplex? Areas vary but I know for a fact it would not be allowed here as it is not a single family residence inhabited by the owner.

Quote:
. It's straight four receptacles to a room
,all small rooms? there is no count requirement for receps. It is based on wall length.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #8

Yeah nap. He's a licensed general contractor who has contracted with a local bank to rehab a duplex they took back.

And I know it's an outlet every 12 feet and no more than 6 feet from a corner, which in this small structure works out to an outlet per wall. Except I put GFCI protected outlets every 4 feet on the kitchen above countertops and double's in the bathrooms. I also put three way lights in all rooms accessible from two directions (hallway and dining rooms in this case) a smoke detector in every bedroom, upstairs hallway, kitchen, living room, and laundry room. I also put an outside light and outlet beside each exterior door.

I know how to wire a house to protect it's inhabitants. I was just looking for a refresher on one specific area.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
=prohandyman;520316]Yeah nap. He's a licensed general contractor who has contracted with a local bank to rehab a duplex they took back.
So, this isn't even his building. So, you have the blind leading the blind trying to do electrical work they are not qualified to do for a commercial purpose.

Quote:
I know how to wire a house to protect it's inhabitants. I was just looking for a refresher on one specific area.
apparently you don't or you wouldn't be asking such a basic level question.

What a world we live in were any old Joe can go out and turn somebody else's house into a fire trap. About the cheesiest thing I have ever seen any "pro" do is come to a DIY site and ask how to do something for pay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-21-2010), Speedy Petey (10-21-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #10

No it's not his building. He's a 'general contractor' (I'm assuming you know that a 'general contractor' contracts with owners to perform work on their property) who is doing the carpentry and plumbing work, which he is VERY experienced at. And I, who am experienced enough to safely wire a small duplex with the guidance of my friendly local inspector, who I am on good terms with since he has inspected at least a dozen of my own properties that I have in fact OWNED AT THE TIME I WORKED ON THEM, and passed all of them.

Me thinks your just pissed because you spent all that time and money going to some school to be a 'licensed electrician', probably unionized, and a 'jack-leg' with a 152 I.Q. is out here doing work your not needed for.

Good day sir.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
with a 152 I.Q.

Now you have insulted me.

No, I just hate seeing idiots that think they know what they are doing break the law and put people's lives in jeopardy.

Quote:
And I, who am experienced enough to safely wire a small duplex
Obviously a lie or you wouldn't have sneaked into a DIY forum looking for help.

If you are so sure of your right to do the work, put up the address and I will contact the inspector myself to verify your right to do the work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-21-2010), Jim Port (10-20-2010), Speedy Petey (10-21-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
No it's not his building. He's a 'general contractor' (I'm assuming you know that a 'general contractor' contracts with owners to perform work on their property) who is doing the carpentry and plumbing work, which he is VERY experienced at. And I, who am experienced enough to safely wire a small duplex with the guidance of my friendly local inspector, who I am on good terms with since he has inspected at least a dozen of my own properties that I have in fact OWNED AT THE TIME I WORKED ON THEM, and passed all of them.

Me thinks your just pissed because you spent all that time and money going to some school to be a 'licensed electrician', probably unionized, and a 'jack-leg' with a 152 I.Q. is out here doing work your not needed for.

Good day sir.
What an attitude!!!

You don't list you're location, so we can only speculate as to local code and regulations.

In GA, you must be licensed to contract electrical for pay!
You must also be licensed to be a GC for pay, and licensed to contract plumbing.

Whats with the IQ statement?

Wiring a house is not unusually hard, or taxing to the brain, but legally being able to contract for pay has nothing to do with IQ?

Going from helping a friend who is low on funds, to helping a GC rehab a bank owned home are two different situations!
frenchelectrican (10-21-2010), Jim Port (10-20-2010), Speedy Petey (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #13

jbfan, I asked a simple question in good faith and wirenut was the only one that offered help. The others felt the need to pile on about licensing and being a 'jack-leg'. I'm one of those pesky libertarians that don't really give a damn about licensing. If I can do something and someone is willing to pay me for it, I'm gonna do it. I'm an adult with enough sense to know what I shouldn't tackle, and this ain't one of those things. I'm a 'licensed' Realtor, but would I attempt to handle the sale of a skyscraper? No. It's out of my league.

So, I'm sorry for getting the attitude, but it was drawn out by people who say things like, "I know I sound like a jerk when I say this...'. If you know it's going to make you sound like a jerk, bite your damn tongue and don't say it.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
If I can do something and someone is willing to pay me for it, I'm gonna do it.
Sorry, but when it comes to construction, with it's myriad of codes and regulations, this is a scary philosophy. You might think you know what you are doing all while doing it completely wrong and unsafe. Just because it works does not mean it is correct or safe.
You obviously do not know the codes and requirements to do the job at hand, or else you would not be here. IMO this voids out your above philosophy.
THIS is why so many of us are saying what we are saying.

Quote:
So, I'm sorry for getting the attitude, but it was drawn out by people who say things like, "I know I sound like a jerk when I say this...'. If you know it's going to make you sound like a jerk, bite your damn tongue and don't say it.
Oh well. I am one of those pesky people who speaks their mind when they feel strongly about something. I really don't care about sounding like a jerk.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-21-2010), jbfan (10-21-2010), Jim Port (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Prohandyman.,

Really you should stop right there due the first part of statement of your question it did gave me a red flag right on the spot.

A real licensed electrician will know the answer rightaway.

And there is more than just basic wiring there are a bunch of codes we have to follow and if you were in my foot you will get lost in one second due I have two diffrent master license one in Wisconsin and one in Paris France and both have complety diffrent set of codes to follow just like other guys whom they help alot of peoples in right way and we know what is safe and what not.

Now due you are not a owner of that home so you have to get a real electrician to come out and deal with it.

And yeah once you pull the permit the inspector will check the area carefull.

Also if the inspector ever find out unqualifed worker doing what they should not be doing the inspector will put up " stop work " order so fast. { I have see it happend from time to time }

And Prohandyman the best thing you can do is stop right there and get a proper qualifed person to deal with it.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (10-21-2010)