DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring Sequence on Adding a New Outlet

8K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  wirenut1110 
#1 ·
I am adding a new outlet to the ouside of my house and want to verify the wiring sequence when powering off of an existing outlet. The existing inside outlet has two black, two white and one ground wire coming into the house. The "new" wire will of course have a black, white and ground. I am planning on side wiring the two "old" black and white wires on the inside of the house and back wiring the "new" inside black and white wires. This leaves me on the inside with two ground wires. one "old" ground and one "new" ground wire from the wire that I am running outside. Since there is only one grounding screw on the inside outlet, do I hook one of the grounding wires to the outlet screw and then just wire cap the "new" grounding wire? Do I have the wiring sequence correct or is there a better and safer way of doing it? Thanks!

#2 ·
You should "pigtail" all blacks, whites, and have a piece ~6" long of black and white to existing receptacle, you'll have to do this also to the grounds if you don't have a grounding wirenut or ground crimps. I personally don't recommend "back stabbing" a device. You'll have problems with it later. Also, the outdoor receptacle will need to be a gfci unless you're tapping off of a gfci circuit and you will need to use an "in-use" cover.

#3 ·
Wiring sequence

So to "pigtail" I should get a 6 inch wire and connect the two existing(ex; black)wires into the house to the new 6 inch black wire and use a wire connector to combine them and then put the other end of the 6 inch piece to the copper screw on the outlet? Just want to be sure that I am on the same page. Thanks for yor assistance.

#5 ·
Wiring Sequence On Adding a New Outlet

On the GFCI outlet that I am adding, I am attempting to sidewire(on the screws) the black and white wires. My question is how do you do this? The screws don't seem to back out far enough to allow you to get the wires behind them. Am I missing something or do I just back wire them? Thanks!

#7 ·
What size is your box?
Sounds like you may not have enough room inside that box.
A plastic box will have the fill listed on the back.
Metal is a different story.
A 3"x2"x2.5" box is only allowed 6 #14.
Don't forget, the receptacle counts as two wires and the clamp counts as one. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.