Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring question: One switch controls 2 outlets

Hello,

I just moved into a new place and in one room of the house, there is a single switch that controls 2 outlets (actually I don't know if thats the correct terminology, it controls both the top and bottom plugs of one outlet).

That is the only outlet on that wall, and it is also the wall where the cable tv comes out, so I want to make it so that only 1 of the two outlets is switch controlled, and the other is always hot, this way we can have a light in the switch controlled one and the tv in the hot one.

Is there an easy way to make one of the two outlets always hot? I'm no electrician but I can usually take care of little things with instructions, if its too difficult for someone without electrical knowledge to do I'll just leave it alone or get someone qualified, but it doesnt seem like it should be too complicated in my head. Barring that, if there some other way besides rewiring to do this? I wouldnt think so.

Thanks for any help/info
mneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Master Joatmon

Put the switch in the off position. Using a volt meter, check if any of the black wires in the outlet box are hot. If one is hot, then you can break the tab between the two recepticles and wire it up the way you want: Always hot to one recepticle, switched hot to the other. However, I don't think I've ever come across a switched outlet like this. Usually the hot is brought to the switch box, and then the switch delivers the hot to the outlet box.

CJ
Chucky Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

Tuen off power to the circuit ans pull the receptacle. Tell us all the wires you see and the connections. If there are any red or black wires not connected to the receptacle then it can probably be done.

Last edited by joed; 12-11-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
joed is offline   Reply With Quote