Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring Question

Hello all, I am adding a bathroom in my basement. I am currently installing a panasonic heat/vet fan which needs its own 20 amp circuit. I want to put the switch in the same box as the bathroom main light switch. The bathroom light will be run off a different circuit 14ga wire. The vent fan will be run off its own 20 amp 12 ga wire. Can I do this per NEC? I want to put 3 switches (1for light, 1 for heat and 1 for fan) in a 3 gang box with 2 different size wires,12ga feeding the heat/vent; and 14ga feeding the light.

stogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Wiring Question

There is no problem having multiple circuits in one box. The grounding conductors from all circuits do need to be splice together. Be sure to follow box fill restrictions.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
There is no problem having multiple circuits in one box. The grounding conductors from all circuits do need to be splice together. Be sure to follow box fill restrictions.
just wanted to be sure that is heard well.

Also, be aware of AFCI and/or GFCI requirements.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 AM   #4

Wiring Question

So far everything that I have read tells me that my outlet by the sink and the light in the walk in shower are the only 2 things that have to be GFCI protected. (I am assuming that the vent fan and the main light are not required to be GFCI protected). Am I missing anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post

just wanted to be sure that is heard well.

Also, be aware of AFCI and/or GFCI requirements.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

Wiring Question

You have or are you installing a light in the shower? Your bathroom outlets need gfci protection and the lights are to be on a afci breaker.
jerseystyle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Wiring Question

Lighting typically does not need GFI protection. Exhaust fans, heat/vent/lights will require GFI protection when installed over the footprint of the tub or shower in the instructions.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Wiring Question

One additional thing to add (Jim/Nap-feel free to correct me if I am wrong from a code perspective): If this is a separate circuit then it should not share the same neutral from the other circuit unless wired as a MWBC.

I had a similar situation in my house where a previous owner added another circuit to the bathroom for a fan. Unfortunately he piggybacked the fan neutral onto the neutral from the other (lighting) circuit (separate breaker, no common handle, not a MWBC). The lighting circuit was tapped off the kitchen lighting in the adjacent room. I had killed the lighting circuit and was working on it in the kitchen ceiling when I got a nice poke off the neutral. When I followed it back, I realized that someone had turned on the fan switch while I was working and since its neutral was connected to the lighting neutral (and that in the kitchen as well), the disconnected neutral conductor was now at line voltage potential from the fan circuit!

Jimmy
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Wiring Question

Correct Jimmy, the neutrals cannot be tied together from different circuits.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #9

Wiring Question

True true, seperate your neautrals but keep grounds together.
jerseystyle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 AM   #10

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystyle26 View Post
You have or are you installing a light in the shower? Your bathroom outlets need gfci protection and the lights are to be on a afci breaker.
I am installing a recessed light in the shower runing off of the GFCI circuit dedicated for that bathroom. I was going to to power the main bathrooom light off of the circuit that is powering the lights and plugs in the hallway. The vent fan will not be in the foot print of the shower so I understand it does not have to be GFCI protected.
I thought AFCI were only required in bedrooms. If I need it in for my bath light what is my best option to do that? Or should I run my main bathroom light off of the dedicated 20 amp circuit that will be GFCI protected?