Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wiring Question

Hi new here first post I'm having a problem wiring a ceiling fan to a existing switch that powered a outlet.First I ran a new wire down to the switch at the switch there were 2 wires a black and a white wire the black was hot.I removed the white wire from the switch hooked it to the white wire from the fan and connected the black wire from the fan to the bottom of the switch.Here is the problem the fan runs slow and the light on the fan get dimmer based on the speed the fan. The lamp I have hooked to the outlet is real dim as well.My question is what did I do wrong here.

wabo100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 16

Wiring Question

You broke a switch leg, and therefore do not have a neutral
You can loose the switched receptacle to have the ceiling fan work, or you can pull a new wire from the receptacle.

Open the switched receptacle and describe how the receptacle is wired and we can make this work.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

Wiring Question

It's at my moms house I can verify tomorrow I believe Its just a white and black on both sides at the outlet.What would I do in that situation?

Last edited by wabo100; 09-08-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #4

Wiring Question

Not sure, but I think you just wired the fan/light in series. Unscrew the bulb and what happens?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Wiring Question

Also if I unplug the lamp from the outlet the fan will not work at all.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabo100 View Post
Also if I unplug the lamp from the outlet the fan will not work at all.
As other member mention clear you did hook up in series in switch loop so that why it will not work so what you have to do is find the nearest receptale and look for odd connection and you may have to rearrange the connections to get the fan running properly.

Genrally it will be the closest one to the switch on same wall but some case diffrent area so check it out.

Warning.,, Turn the circuit breaker off before you start this part below.

If you find it with odd connection { that will be a dead giveaway point there } so if you are good with electrique stuff then you will need a screwdriver , couple wirenuts { yellow or red one depending on conductor size } group all white together ditto with black all together white on silver screw at the receptale and black conductor on brass coloured screw.

That part you will may have to make a pigtail if you have more than two conductors in the box.

Once you rearrange the connection the wall switch the white wirenutted together and one black to the switch and other black to fan.

Then turn on the power it will work properly.

Edit: I almost forgot the dupex recpectale if you have a tab on brass side if that allready broken then just get a new receptale.

Merci,
Marc

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 09-08-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add a noté
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #7

Wiring Question

Ok a little more info went to my moms house outlet operated by the switch only has 1 white and black going to it.in the adjacent room light switch it has a red connected to the black that runs to the outlet in my room I'm working on.

Last edited by wabo100; 09-09-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 16

Wiring Question

You need to find where the black and white wire in the switched receptacle come from.
Somewhere you will have a connection of a black to a white, or a red to a white.
Find that and we move forward.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #9

Wiring Question

The outlet black and white go to the light switch box in the adjacent room the white is connected to other whites and the black is connected to the red.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #10

Wiring Question

Also the black and white at the switch in the original room come from a hall light switch that switch has a red and white going to it . inside that box has a white tied to the original switch tied to a white feeding the hall light switch then it has a black tied to another black feeding my original switch.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #11

Wiring Question

So what do I need to do connect the white from the outlet to the red in the adjacent room then what do I do the black from the outlet any help will be much appreciated I'm stuck as it stands now.

Last edited by wabo100; 09-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabo100 View Post
It's at my moms house I can verify tomorrow I believe Its just a white and black on both sides at the outlet.What would I do in that situation?
LOOK behind the outlet in the box. Is there a wire-nut tucked in there with another black and white wire in it? A simple reconfiguration of this outlet would be the solution.

ALSO, if there are not any additional wires in there, you may have had more than one switched outlet in that room. Open up any additional switched outlets, and report back what's in them.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote