Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring question

couple easy questions that I can't to seem to find the answer...

recessed lights done in the living room. With an attic up top. The current set up is 2 lanes with 3 lights each. 6 lights total. The power comes the switch up the wall into the attic to lets say lights 1, 2, and 3. The wiring is parallel to to the joist. the wiring is not nailed to the joist. just goes from light to light. Then after light 3 the wire needs to connect to lets say light 4, 5, and 6 which is lets say 3 sets of joist over. The wire goes over the joist not thru it by drilling holes. Is this a problem?

another electrical question. Theres a wire running to the main panel and seems like it was made 2 foot or a 1 foot short and instead of going across the beam then 90 degree turn down to the panel. since it was short and it wouldnt reach going that route it just goes across to the panel. Since the wire is short, can I make a junction box. Is this allowed? I hope i explained this one correctly.

Last edited by fabian; 07-27-2011 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added question
fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #2

Wiring question

Here is a picture... see the yellow wire?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Wiring question

The yellow cable is not properly secured. There needs to be no more than 4.5' between staples or point of being secured. You can make the cable longer by using a knockout higher on the panel. Many cable clamps can accept 2 flat cables. You could also use a KO on top of the panel if any are available.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #4

Wiring question

Jim thanks for the reply. Can i add a junction box somewhere in order to add new 12/2 wire? to make it long enough to run across the top beam? It still wont reach if i go to the top knock outs. If i do that I wont be able to secure it with the hammer staples.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Wiring question

You can add addition length by using permanently accessible junction boxes with cover plates.

I forgot the attic part. If the cable is accessible it should be stapled or secured. If the cable was fished between access points it does not need to be secured.
fabian (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

Wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You can add addition length by using permanently accessible junction boxes with cover plates.

I forgot the attic part. If the cable is accessible it should be stapled or secured. If the cable was fished between access points it does not need to be secured.
Jim thanks for taking the time. I think I will do a junction box in the near future and redo the staples.
as far as the attic, it is in a part where its accessible. Will this pass inspection if i went to sell the house? or should i staple it to the joist and run the wire thru drilled holes in the joist where needed.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Wiring question

If not subject to damage and it is more than 7' from an attic scuttle you should meet the code requirements if it is secured. Closer than 7' would need running boards to protect the cable from things stacked on top or being walked on.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Wiring question

How far from the current staple until it hits the joist?
It looks to be less than 4.5 feet.