DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring a projector to a switch? (will this work)

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  c3lica 
#1 ·
Ok so my parents own a cabin (was built sometime after 2001 so I would assume it meets almost any electrical code today) and it has a projector for a home theater type setup. Right now the projector is mounted to the ceilinhttp://www.homerepairforum.com/forum/#g (it is in a loft so everything is open) and has an ugly extension cord run to it to a wall outlet. My question is this...

Can I chop off the head of an extension cord and wire it to a ceiling fan (it is switched at the wall)? That way I can hide the cord in the rafters and make it look pretty.

The projector uses 300w max (if my calculations are correct thats less than 2.75 amps).

So yeah, can I rig it like that? is there a better way? basically, what should I do?

#2 ·
I don't think "chopping off the head" of an extension cord is a recommended procedure. Have you considered wiring a new receptacle closer to the projector, getting rid of the extension cord, and plugging the projector to this new receptacle? Just an option. This is what I would do but I am sure you will get more opinions.

#3 ·
Extension cords are not rated for in-wall use and are not listed as suitable for a permanent installation. If you have access to the area above the ceiling, just put in an outlet box and run a length of romex to the box and pull power from a nearby outlet. I would not put the projector on a switched outlet, its very bad to turn the power off to the projector before its had a chance to cool down, this quickly shortens the life of the bulb.

#4 ·
Do you want to run this wire in the ceiling fan and then have your switch control your projector as well. If so do not do it, when you turn the projector off the proper way the fan runs a while to cool down your bulb. If you just shut it off it does not do this and i beleive it will shorten the life of your buld which are not cheap.

#5 ·
I know the projector needs to cool down. The fan switch is turned on at all times while we are there and the light/fan speed is controlled with a remote control. If I got power from the fan I would let everyone know that the switch would need to stay on at least 30 min after the projector was off (ill double check the manual but definitely til the fans cut off in the projector)

So should I/can I install an outlet at the fan? (I guess from what you have said I should just buy an outlet and a box for it... mount the box and plug the extension cord in to it...)

I have little experience with home wiring... (I have changed outlets, switches, chandeliers) The main thing is I want it to be safe. I would prefer not cutting and drywall or wood so the only way to get power and have the power cord hidden is to get it from the fan.

#6 ·
... I would let everyone know that the switch would need to stay on at least 30 min after the projector was off (ill double check the manual but definitely til the fans cut off in the projector)
I wouldn't go this route...as well intentioned as you are...one thing you can count on is human nature will take over and directions will not be followed until it's too late or something bad happens.

Can you take power from the ceiling fan sure...should you? Probably not.

With a little effort you could add a PIXIE controller that would take care of startup, shutdown and external volume controls. Couple that with a wall mount input and you'd have a very clean install...

#7 ·
.......and has an ugly extension cord run to it to a wall outlet........
An option to hide that extension is to use a surface mounted raceway. The easiest ones to install are plastic with a self stick backing. They are commonly available here in CA at hardware and smaller home improvement stores as individual ala carte parts i.e. Insde corners, outside corners, straight sections, couplers, etc.

Here is a link to what they look like: http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/80245-cord-cover-kit.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.