Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring a pool

Hello all,

I am putting in an above ground pool and need some assistance with wiring. My pump is a twist lock. There is no such animal as a GFI twist lock receptical so I will use a 20 amp SQD GFCI breaker. My panel is in my garage about 35 feet from the pool. I planned on running the wire out of the panel through conduit down 15 feet of wall and through the wall to the outside, down the wall 18" deep to a 4x4 post. I plan on using a 2 gang weatherproof box with a 2CKNMD cover. My outlet has to be at least 6 ft from the pool. (Not a big deal) One question that I need to know is, when I ground the pool do I have to put a lug on each leg of the pool or is one lug on one leg sufficient. I asked an electrician and he said that is the town who makes that decision. I asked the town and they said we are not electricians, your electrician should have that answer. I asked 3 other electricians and all 3 told me the same story. "Your town has to make that decision". Each town is different and it also depends on the mood of the inspector. One day it could be ground it to one leg the next day it could be ground it to every other leg around the pool and to the ladder if its metal. Can someone help me get around this matter.

Thank you in advance.
Patiently waiting to swim.

Pleesehelpme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Wiring a pool

01. No direct burial cable permitted underground. Conduit system is required. 680.21
02. Minimum attachment cord size # 12 AWG. 680-21
03. Minimum ground wire size # 12 AWG. 680.21
04. 20 Ampere Locking type outlet required for filter motor for above ground pools located between 5’ and 10’ from
pool wall. This outlet shall be Ground Fault Protected and shall employ a “In-Use” cover. This circuit shall be
dedicated to the Filter Motor. 680.22
05. Convenience outlet shall be located between 10’ and 20’ from pool wall, shall be Ground Fault Protected and
shall be connected to a routine circuit in the dwelling. This outlet may be protected with a “in- use”
weatherproof cover. 680.22
06. All metal parts within 5’ of the pool shall be bonded together with #8 solid wire and shall be bonded to filter
motor. 680.26
07. Filter motor may be “hard wired” but disconnecting means is required.
08. Burial depth is routinely 18” for PVC and 6” for Rigid metal conduit. 680.10
09. Any approved wiring method within the dwelling is approved within the dwelling unless a pool light is involved.
If a pool light is installed, a conduit system is required to the service panel board and a green insulated ground
is required to be installed. 680.21
10. All wiring installed in a conduit system must either be Ground Fault or not. Do not intermix these two types of
wiring protection
11. A # 8 Solid Green wire is required to be installed between the pool chassis and a lug provided on the filter
motor. A proper lug is required on the pool chassis. 680.26
12. A time clock must be installed so the pump can be set to run at off hours as per the Model Energy Code.

NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #3

Wiring a pool

Thank you so much NJMarine, You have made my kids very happy knowing they may be swimming by the time the school year is out.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Wiring a pool

I come to find out my pool has no metal parts to it at all. The only parts that are metal are the scres that hold the decor legs and rail together. Does this mean I don't have to ground the pool?
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Wiring a pool

you are going have run the equipontentail bonding wire and connect it to four lega around the pool. All the bonding wires will get connect at the lug on the pump
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Wiring a pool

The other of wiring is to feed the gfi convienent outlet and tthan feed the twist lock for the pool pump.
I ussually put the convienent gfi outlet on the side of the house by pool and feeding it with 12/2 nm and than pipe over to the post which have the time clock and twistlock recep. Remember the convienent outlet has to be no further than 20 feet from edge of pool.

Last edited by NJMarine; 05-14-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wiring a pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMarine View Post
you are going have run the equipontentail bonding wire and connect it to four lega around the pool. All the bonding wires will get connect at the lug on the pump
If I read it right he says there is NO metal to bond. What "legs" are you referring to?
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #8

Wiring a pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleesehelpme View Post
I come to find out my pool has no metal parts to it at all. The only parts that are metal are the scres that hold the decor legs and rail together. Does this mean I don't have to ground the pool?
If there is absolutely no metal parts at all associated with the pool (other than the motor) then no, there will be no bonding.

BTW - What you are talking about is bonding.
Try and keep the terms "bonding" and "grounding" straight. They are two very different things.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Wiring a pool

The metal legs that hold up the pool have to be bonded.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #10

Wiring a pool

Quote:
The metal legs that hold up the pool have to be bonded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleesehelpme View Post
I come to find out my pool has no metal parts to it at all.
So what do you think he means by this???
Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Wiring a pool

On above ground pools there is ussualy a metal frame that keeps the pool shape and holds the liner. This metal frame has legs that contact the earth. This frame has to be bonded.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #12

Wiring a pool

Quote:
On above ground pools there is ussualy a metal frame that keeps the pool shape and holds the liner. This metal frame has legs that contact the earth. This frame has to be bonded.
Obviously, and no one is disputing that fact. The key word in your statement is "usually".

According to the OP there is NO metal. Maybe his is composite or fiberglass. They do exist.
Hopefully he will come back and confirm.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Licensed electrician

Wiring a pool

The non-metallic legs get bonded with weed-eater string.
electures (06-06-2011), Speedy Petey (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Wiring a pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
The non-metallic legs get bonded with weed-eater string.
That is a good one.,,

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Wiring a pool

If everything is nonmetal except for the screws than the pool shell does not have to be bonded.

What size pool is this and mfg?