Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring plan - looking for opinions

I am in the planning stage for finishing my basement (I am not a pro). I want to submit this wiring plan and hire an electrician, but before I do I wanted to get some opinions.

http://www.innerworkingdesigns.com/g...ent/wiring.PDF

I would appreciate any feedback.

Drliebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,466

I think you will need to add a receptacle closer to the slider. The fixed panel counts as wall space and you would need a receptacle within 6' both ways from entering the room.

The track lights may not meet the clearance requirements in the closet.

The bath fan should be ducted to the outside per the mechanical code.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #3

Joe, thanks for the useful information!

I have updated the original plan with some of the things you pointed out. http://www.innerworkingdesigns.com/g...ent/wiring.PDF

I am learning now that if the space looks like a closet then that is what it will be considered. The adjoining room in the bottom right side of the diagram is going to be used as a recording space and the closet is going to be used as a sound isolation booth. That is why I am putting an outlet, track light and dimmer switch in. I want to comply with code in order to get this approved, so I am going to have it installed with a regular overhead light and when all is done, I can put the track light in myself. I don't plan on using it for storage. Do you think this will fly?

I changed the plan to include two folding doors with about a foot of wall between them instead of sliding doors. (bottom left area) This is something that was debated before hand so it becomes an easy decision with the need of the additional outlet and should accommodate it well.

Speaking of outlets, is eight the max for 15 amp circuit with nothing else on it? If I add this outlet, I can change the quad to a single for the tv area in the top left to keep it in compliance with code but if there is flexibility then a quad would be convenient.

The fan has me worried, I don't know if there is a good place to vent it. Directly above on the outside wall is the front door. I can imagine people coming over for the chilli cookoff when the throne is in use I am sure it will be more expensive to get it outside as well. Maybe I can stick it in the plan and see what they say. Here is the unit:http://www.ventingdirect.com/nutone-682nt-ductless-bathroom-fan-for-wall-or-ceiling-installation/p430304?ductless-duct-free-bath-fans=c11862&source=gg_bathfans_ductlessbathfansexa ct&gclid=CMWRwcvr9akCFYrJKgodNSLevA&s_kwcid=TC|780 9|ductless%20exhaust%20fan%20bathroom||S|e|7285514 604&categoryid=11862

Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Rewards Points: 250

The print looks good. I do not see any issue with the track lights, since it is not a closet area.
There is no code requirement about how many outlets on a residential circuit. I always look at what the person is planning on doing with a space or area.
The recording area should be on it own possibly 2 seperate 20 amp circuits for equipment.
All new circuits have to be afci protected.
I would check with the inspection dept about the ductless fan.
NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. I guess our governor exempted Ohio from the arc fault interrupt in 2008, too expensive for builders...sounds lame to me. Should I install for safteys sake on the new construction? There are none in existing panel home built in 2003.

How many circuits do you think I will need? I am thinking 3 for outlets (I will see about 2 20 amp circuits for studio instead of 15.) and 2 for lights and one 20 amp for bath but I am not really sure. Would you put lights and outlets on separate circuits if you have the choice?

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

Ohio.mpted Would you put lights and outlets on separate circuits if you have the choice?

Thanks again.[/quote]

yes!!!lights on seperate ckts.

oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote