Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring Plan

I am finishing my basement and this is the wiring plan that I am going to present to Ontario electrical inspector. I would appreciate any suggestion regarding the wiring.

To be considered:
1- According to local electrical code I can do the job.
2- According to Local building code , having a kitchen in the basement is not permitted.
3- All the lights except Bath wall-mount light, are recessed IC.

navid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Wiring Plan

That's purty.
Does it work?

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Wiring Plan

That's a lot of stuff on 3 circuits.

Are you allowed to put the bathroom and other rooms on the same circuit in Ontario?

I think there is a limit to how many outlets (meaning lights and receptacles) you can have on a circuit in Canada.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
navid (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #4

Wiring Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
That's a lot of stuff on 3 circuits.

Are you allowed to put the bathroom and other rooms on the same circuit in Ontario?

I think there is a limit to how many outlets (meaning lights and receptacles) you can have on a circuit in Canada.
Thanks for your reply.
Rule 26-710 [C] : Bathroom Plug Outlet might be supplied with any nearby lighting circuit which has 11 or fewer outlet.

The maximum outlet number (lights and receptacles) is limited to 12, but according to Rule 8-304 : Where the load is known the Code permits more than 12 outlets on a 15 amp circuit provided the total load current does not exceed 12 amps.

In this case, the marked maximum lamp size on the fixture is known and no other loads is connected to this circuit.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #5

Wiring Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid View Post
Rule 26-710 [C] : Bathroom Plug Outlet might be supplied with any nearby lighting circuit which has 11 or fewer outlet.
No offense but remember that when you're watching TV and someone plugs in a hair dryer and trips the breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid View Post
The maximum outlet number (lights and receptacles) is limited to 12, but according to Rule 8-304 : Where the load is known the Code permits more than 12 outlets on a 15 amp circuit provided the total load current does not exceed 12 amps.I n this case, the marked maximum lamp size on the fixture is known and no other loads is connected to this circuit.
I'd still suggest you break it up some more. It's easy to add a few circuits now, while you can, instead of after the walls are done. As is, if that "purple" circuit breaker trips you have no lights in the "entertainment area" or "room 1" or either set of stairs.

Plan for the future, not today's loads. You may not have one now but how much power does a big Plasma TV take or a surround sound system need? I'd dedicate a circuit just for them and keep the lighting off of it. Do you have enough receptacles, spaced for Code? I see no receptacles near either set of stairs.

Code is the bare minimum. It does not mean that you can't do differently.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AandPDan For This Useful Post:
navid (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #6

Wiring Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
No offense but remember that when you're watching TV and someone plugs in a hair dryer and trips the breaker.

I'd still suggest you break it up some more. It's easy to add a few circuits now, while you can, instead of after the walls are done. As is, if that "purple" circuit breaker trips you have no lights in the "entertainment area" or "room 1" or either set of stairs.

Plan for the future, not today's loads. You may not have one now but how much power does a big Plasma TV take or a surround sound system need? I'd dedicate a circuit just for them and keep the lighting off of it. Do you have enough receptacles, spaced for Code? I see no receptacles near either set of stairs.

Code is the bare minimum. It does not mean that you can't do differently.
Good suggestions I will add more receptacles and breakers.
there are 5 free spots for breakers.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #7

Wiring Plan

Are you planning any electric in the utility room?
I think that the bathroom lighting should have a wall switch on the inside of the bathroom door, not outside. Other readers should/would know.

Ray103 is offline   Reply With Quote