Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring past a switch

I recently re wired my basement with multiple switches on one circuit. In order for everything beyond the switch to not be controlled by the switch i put in a junction box and ran from there to the switches. I have two questions... Is there anything wrong with what I've done and 2 what is the correct way to wire a circuit with a switch in the middle of it and not having it control everything beyond that switch. I'm a carpenter trying to play sparky and unfortunately shop class was a few years ago.

boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #2

Wiring past a switch

If power comes into the switch then simply connect you circuit past the switch to the power in cable and not to the switch.

If this is a switch loop setup then you need to run a three wire cable instead of two wire cable so that you can bring the neutral into the switch box.

There is no problem using a junction box as long it remains accessible. You can't bury under drywall.