Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring overkill?????

Okay so here is my problem, I have recently finished my basement, and I had to relocate my recepticle for the Clothes Dryer. I replaced the old wiring with 8/3 NMD 90 wire(red,white,black, ground) now is this overkill, the only reason I used this wiring because I found some at my job-site that the electrician left behind. It is still on the original double-pole 30amp breaker. I am asking if this is overkill because I have been tripping the black wire's breaker lately. I even switched the red and black wires around in the panel and that helped for about a month then its going back to tripping the black wire. I have also recently replaced the thermostat in the dryer, because it burnt out, I aslo noticed that the wiring inside the dryer is very brittle, and have had to rewire once because one wire burnt out just before the thermostat.

So I guess my ultimate question is did I over do it with wiring??? or is my drying in a need of a rehaul, or is my double-pole 30amp breaker weak??? or is it all of they above??

Please help, its minus 24c outside so I cant really hang my clothes out to dry.

choda_boy_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,464

wiring overkill?????

Your oversize wire is not the cause of your breaker tripping. How do you know it is the black wire? You should be using a double pole breaker that trips both at the same time.

I suspect a problem with the dryer.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

wiring overkill?????

Remove those two single poles and put a double pole (for safety).

Test the dryer...it probably will trip. I suspect something is wrong with the dryer, might be the element.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
DIY'er

wiring overkill?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by choda_boy_04 View Post
Okay so here is my problem, I have recently finished my basement, and I had to relocate my recepticle for the Clothes Dryer. I replaced the old wiring with 8/3 NMD 90 wire(red,white,black, ground) now is this overkill, the only reason I used this wiring because I found some at my job-site that the electrician left behind. It is still on the original double-pole 30amp breaker. I am asking if this is overkill because I have been tripping the black wire's breaker lately. I even switched the red and black wires around in the panel and that helped for about a month then its going back to tripping the black wire. I have also recently replaced the thermostat in the dryer, because it burnt out, I aslo noticed that the wiring inside the dryer is very brittle, and have had to rewire once because one wire burnt out just before the thermostat.

So I guess my ultimate question is did I over do it with wiring??? or is my drying in a need of a rehaul, or is my double-pole 30amp breaker weak??? or is it all of they above??

Please help, its minus 24c outside so I cant really hang my clothes out to dry.
Larger wire is never a problem.

First: Tell me where the wires are hooked up in your panel. Exactly where do the white, red, black and ground wire go in the panel? Where are they hooked up to? A photo would be very helpful, otherwise a description of how you have them hooked up would be great.

Can you look at the name plate on the dryer and tell us what it requires for power?

Thanks
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

wiring overkill?????

The plate on the dryer says Volts 120/240, amps 24, hz 60
so the Ground is connected to the ground rail in the panel box, the white wire is connnected to the other rail inside of the panel box with an adapter to accept the larger wire, then the black is connected to one of the 15-30 amp breakers then the red is connected to the other 15-30 amp breaker. hopefully this helps. I know it is the black because when the dryer would trip,it wouldnt fully trip the other one so the dryer would still run just no heat.(I dont know why it doesnt blow them both because they are connected)

the picture attached is before i switched red and black around.

But I think you guys answered my question and have saved me some grief because I was thinking that I might have to open up the walls to fix it, I am going to rip the dryer apart and replace some of the crappy wires,

Again thanks for your help guys
Attached Thumbnails
wiring overkill?????-breaker2.jpg  

Last edited by choda_boy_04; 01-01-2009 at 12:32 AM.
choda_boy_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
elect, contractor

Rewards Points: 25

wiring overkill?????

if the wires as you say are gone brittle in the dryer there is obviously a problem with that dryer, if the thermostat burnt out thats probley from an overload so I would asume that posibly the heater coil is overloading somehow, you can rip it apart and try to find the problem or say its time for a new dryer. if you have an ampmeter run the dryer and take readings, see where its at, you should take them for the duration of the cycle as it may be an intermitant problem, the heater coil will move a bit as it heats up and the metal expands, the side closest to the black could either be touching ground or something along those lines.
ACB Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

wiring overkill?????

You have an issue if your double pole breaker is only half tripping. Is there a bar connecting the two handles together that has gotten loose? Is there a set screw?
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
DIY'er

wiring overkill?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by choda_boy_04 View Post
The plate on the dryer says Volts 120/240, amps 24, hz 60
so the Ground is connected to the ground rail in the panel box, the white wire is connnected to the other rail inside of the panel box with an adapter to accept the larger wire, then the black is connected to one of the 15-30 amp breakers then the red is connected to the other 15-30 amp breaker. hopefully this helps. I know it is the black because when the dryer would trip,it wouldnt fully trip the other one so the dryer would still run just no heat.(I dont know why it doesnt blow them both because they are connected)

the picture attached is before i switched red and black around.

But I think you guys answered my question and have saved me some grief because I was thinking that I might have to open up the walls to fix it, I am going to rip the dryer apart and replace some of the crappy wires,

Again thanks for your help guys
I am not familiar with your panel. The double breaker for the dryer is that a single 1 piece unit that you can remove? Are the 15A breakers above and below somehow connected to the 30A breaker? Are the handles on the breaker connected?

What brand is the panel?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,030

wiring overkill?????

Those look a lot like Bryant breakers. Red = 15 amp, Blue = 20 amp, green = 30 amp, gray = 40 or 50 amp.

The breaker in question is a quad unit, two 20 amp single poles on the outside, and a 30 amp 2 pole in the center. You can see the handle tie between the two 30 amp handles. The center breakers are not common-trip, if one side trips it is supposed to move the other handle to off. Sometimes this actually works, but not always.

A dryer has a 240 volt element in it, about 21 amps. It also has a 120 volt motor, and some 120 volt controls, about 4 or 5 amps.

I can see two possibilities here,

1) The breaker is simply weak, and will not hold the higher current on the black leg.

2) Part of the element has burned up, and is touching the frame, resulting in excessive current on the black leg.

If you have the means to measure current, one leg should be about 21 amps, the other around 25 or so. Current in the white should be the difference between the black and red. Current in the ground wire MUST be 0.

Rob

micromind is online now   Reply With Quote