Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

wiring on outside of wall

Hello, I have a finished basement with two separate apts. The floor joists run the opposite of the direction of how the wire would run so I would have to drill through 20 joists. Also there is drywall covering ceilings and walls.

I am wondering if it is possible to wire a 220v conduit from the fuse panel on the outside of the wall into an apt so that I can install a stove. I've seen the round counduit encased in a flexible metal sheathing. Not sure what it is called but is it acceptable?

Thanks in advance
Steve

tiki16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #2

I think you're talking about armored cable, type AC. You're planning on running 40 feet of this across a wall? Perhaps flex to a box, then pipe would be better.

JPraski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #3

Hi, what kind of pipe are you referring to. Also, I have 3 corners to go around. Will 'pipe' accomodate this?
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

It depends on the install just which pipe. Easiest is probably PVC conduit. You can get fittings almost like plumbing, and glue it together. No matter what, you must anchor whatever you use to the wall.

It sounds to me like you aren't that experienced with electric. You do know that rentals are held to a higher standard, and anything violating code is grounds for renters to with hold their rent? You may want to talk to someone professional about this.

Also, you can't do 90 degrees turns with AC cable, you have a certain radius of bend limit. You'll probably need a box or fitting at the corners no mater what, if you want tight turns like you're talking about.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

Is the bend limit different for 220 than for 110V? I know that in my apt there is exterior conduit that is bending around 90 deg corners but it is 110v. See image attachments.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Scared Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki16 View Post
Is the bend limit different for 220 than for 110V? I know that in my apt there is exterior conduit that is bending around 90 deg corners but it is 110v. See image attachments.
NO same bending rules no matter voltage. However every wiring method has a min bend radius, no limit on number of degrees in any one bend.

MC cable as shown in your photos has a min bend radius of "seven times external diameter of the metallic sheath." 330.24 (B)

Last edited by Saturday Cowboy; 12-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #7

I think i can drill holes into the drywall so that it doesn't have to go around 90 deg corners and have it bend gradually. 3

On closer inspection it is only one corner that i would have to around. The other 2 are inner corners. thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #8

Yeah, inner corners are easy if you can do it like that where they're not right against the wall. It's the outside corners I was thinking would be tight enough to kink and crack open the sheathing.

Say you use 1/2", the OD I think is 7/8"... hmmm, that's the fitting, I think the OD is a bit smaller. I hardly ever use 1/2" so I'm a little rusty. Anyhow, IF the OD is 7/8, the radius you must stay above is 6 1/8". That means a 6 1/8" string, held at a point 6 1/8" away from the bend, will not touch (or just barely touch) the cable when swung along it's length with out moving the point you're holding the string at. Hard to explain, easy to do, I hope I didn't confuse you. I'm just trying to say, it's not a measure along the cable like some think- it's an imaginary circle snugged up next to the cable, you can't go inside the imaginary circle, and the code says what radius the circle is.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Just call me Andrew

What about using wiremold instead of AC cable? Looks nicer. Not sure if they make wiremold big enough for that gauge wire though. But PVC pipe or AC cable isn't too aesthetically pleasing.

Edit - check out the installation instructions, looks like the DO make large-capacity raceways...

http://www.legrand.us/Wiremold/Racew...y-Raceway.aspx

Last edited by secutanudu; 12-31-2010 at 09:21 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote