Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring Outlets Then Switch Then Lights

I am trying to wire two double outlets, one single outlet, a single switch and then two lights. The 14-2 feed comes from panel to first double outlet box then to second double outlet box then to single outlet box then to switch then to light one followed by light two.
I did white to silver screws and black to brass screws in each box then whites together at switch with black to each screw. Lights are straight white to white and black to black.
It doesnt work past the first double outlet box without tripping the breaker.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #2

It should work as described. I would check the wire running from the first double to the next outlet. Sounds like you have nicked a black wire in a clamp.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
When is fishing season?

The first dbl box would be the first place to start then... check ALL the connections, then recheck and check again. Make sure they are all going to the right places, and are tight. When wiring 2 outlets in a dbl box, it's a good idea to use pigtails instead of having your incoming power to one outet, then short wires to the next then your cable leaving the box to the next. You should take ALL the black and wire nut them with 2 shorter black wires to go to each ooutlet, same with the whites.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Check the first box to make sure there is no wire touching each other especally with the bare ground wire.

once you check for it and make sure there is no nicks on the wire insluation [ it kinda common if not carefull with it.]

leave the repectales out [ dont slide it back in at this min ] turn on the power if the breaker don't trip then you got something that it should not be touching then turn off the breaker then push the wires back in start with ground wire first then the rest back in. [ you have to watch it when you push it back in the box and make sure there is no other wires should not be touching where it should be.]

turn on the breaker if do not trip then you are ok but if still tripping you will have do more trouble shooting along the way.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the help guys. I will keep trying. I thought I had done everything correctly but there must be a short somewhere. I did discover that the first outlet in the first double box works fine and tests fine with current tester. When I connect the second outlet in the first box it works but both the neutral and hot sides show current. The when I connect the third outlet (1st in second double box) the breaker trips. I'm baffled but will keep trying.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Thanks for the help guys. I will keep trying. I thought I had done everything correctly but there must be a short somewhere. I did discover that the first outlet in the first double box works fine and tests fine with current tester. When I connect the second outlet in the first box it works but both the neutral and hot sides show current. The when I connect the third outlet (1st in second double box) the breaker trips. I'm baffled but will keep trying.
Usually this is because the bare ground is touching the brass screw on the receptacle when you push it in the box.

If that isn't the case, you may have driven a staple too tight into the cable.

The tester you say is showing hot on bot sides... is it the non-contact type that flashes when you are close to the hot? If so, this is just an artifact of how the thing works. It is just close to the hot on the other receptacle.

Inphase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Do you have a meter? In these cases I like to use the meter for trouble shooting rather than to keep closing the breaker on a short circuit. Use the continuity (ohm) function of the meter. It also makes it easy to work your way down the circuit to find the short.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your help. I went back through each connection and "pigtailed" all of the outlets (instead of "jumpers") and it is working fine now. I think there was a pinch coming out of the second double box which was causing the short/ground. In any event the problem is solved.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #9

...Best advice. Common sense. Should be able to spot any nicks (No. not the Basketball kind) in the wiring visually!
Merci Beaucoup!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #10

One word of caution. Especially for amateurs! Whenever you use the "Continuity" mode make absolutely 100% certain that the power to the circuit is OFF!!!

spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote