Wiring An Outlet From A Two-Way Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring an Outlet From a Two-Way Switch

I have two two-way switches on a wall (well, I guess there are actually four switches. Two of the swtiches are in one box. One of the other switches is across the room. The other swtich controls garage lights - one switch in this box and the other switch out in the garage). I want to drop a line down the inside of the wall and put in an always-on outlet on the other side of the wall. Each switch has two black wires (white wires painted black near the switch) and one red wire (white wire painted red near the switch). The wires in the wire nuts are all white.

This box with the two switches is the closest power to where the new outlet needs to go.

I'm willing to try this, but I don't want to burn the house down in the process!

Advertisement

lburriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,492

You need to tell us all the wires and what cables they come from in the switch box. Are there any white wires not connected to the switches? If there are not then you can not do it. If the white wires inthe wire nut are not connected to the switches then it is probably possible.

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
You need to tell us all the wires and what cables they come from in the switch box. Are there any white wires not connected to the switches? If there are not then you can not do it. If the white wires inthe wire nut are not connected to the switches then it is probably possible.
I agree, not enough info. Also we have arc fault /GFCI issues involved depending on the location and current code cycle in the location of the install.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Contractor in PA

Rewards Points: 25

What you have (and are calling two way switches) are actually known as 3 way switches (That should start the confussion).

The switches will have 3 wires attached to them on 3 different screws and a 4th ground wire (maybe). On the switches, you should see and notice that one of the screws on each switch is a different color than the other two screws. That different color screw is the common (and may be marked or labeled as such, depending on the make of the switch).

Look for the two common screws to be connected together. If they are, then that is a hot feed. Follow that wire back to the romex that it comes out of and look for the white wire coming out of the same romex jacket. If it is there, then that is your neutral wire.

If the two common screws are not connected together, then the liklyhood is that the feed is located in the opposite switch box and you will not be able to do what you want to do, without installing additional wires.
michaelpwalton1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlet , two-way switch