Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Wiring an outlet

Hello everyone. New to the forums and about just as new to electrical. I tried googling how to do this but I cannot find how to install an outlet given my specific situation.

So I just bought a house and I am looking to add an outlet to the basement. There was a receptacle box with a cover plate not in use and this is where I want to put my outlet. I shut off the breaker powering the outlet testing with my no contact voltage tester to make sure. Once the power was off I took off the cover plate and discovered two separate wirenuts.

I attached a picture to help everyone understand what I'm dealing with. Also forgive me if I use terms which are not correct. Like I said, I know next to nothing about electrical.

One wirenut had two black wires, one coming from the breaker and the other going further down the circuit. The other wirenut had three wires twisted together, a white wire and two black wires. One black wire was coming from the breaker and the other black wire was coming from further down the circuit. The white wire was coming from the breaker. Also in the receptacle was a white wire that went from the breaker to the rest of the circuit and had no exposed ending. Lastly there is the grounding wire.

This is how I found the receptacle. Also on the circuit is a light switch and several other outlets (I think around 5). For further information it is a 15 amp circuit. I know the circuit works because the works and when I turn the breaker off it shuts the light off.

All I'm looking to do is to set up an outlet and I have no idea where to begin. Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring an outlet-img_20140102_170057_537-1-.jpg  

spess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

Wiring an outlet

Where is that White wire from the incoming Romex going to on the Left? Also why are there two blacks coming from the left.

To hook up an outlet, you need to find incoming power, and place Black on Brass, White on Silver, Ground on Green screw.

But first you still have some investigation for that conduit on the left, why there are two blacks from that end, and why the white on the incoming Romex is going to the left.

Also, is that just a length of Conduit that was used to protect that Romex, as it came down from the Joist bay above, or does that conduit run all the way to another junction box or to the Breaker panel.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

Wiring an outlet

I attached pictures again.

The conduit on the top of the box is going to a light switch and there is nothing else in that direction. That white wire is going from that switch down into the receptacle and out the left side which goes into a closet. The path continues to a four outlet receptacle. From that receptacle the vertical conduit goes to the main breaker (at least thats what I think because it goes up into the drywall and I can't find where it goes from there). Out the left side of said receptacle it goes to two lights and a switch that controls both lights.

So to answer your question greg, the black wires from the left side of the original receptacle are coming from that four outlet receptacle.

I really appreciate your help
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring an outlet-img_20140102_210026_406.jpg   Wiring an outlet-img_20140102_210201_518.jpg   Wiring an outlet-img_20140102_210223_597.jpg   Wiring an outlet-img_20140102_210302_515.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 50

Wiring an outlet

If they are using Romex through all of that Conduit, by just stripping the jacket off, you have more issues at hand. Only thing that should be going through those conduits, should be THHN/THWN. You can still have that section of Romex come down that one section into that first box, but it needs a fitting at the top, to protect the jacket and wires, from possible abrasion from the piping.

From that box that the Romex goes into, you need THHN/THWN onwards to the rest of those boxes on that conduit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #5

Wiring an outlet

Alright that seems way over my skill level. It sounds like I won't be doing my outlet. Thanks for the information
Old 01-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Wiring an outlet

You definitely need to have somebody with some electrical experience look at that circuit. Having to blacks and a white coming from the breaker makes absolutely no sense. Neither does having 2 blacks and a white pigtailed together. My guess is there is either some kind of a switch loop set up or something else unusual.

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote