DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Wiring an outdoor outlet #2 (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-outdoor-outlet-2-a-145225/)

Eusibius2 05-29-2012 11:58 AM

Wiring an outdoor outlet #2
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

I found this thread from a few years back and didn't really want to bring it back to life, so I'm starting a new one. Plus, mine isn't a new install - just a swap out (of sorts).

http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wirin...-outlet-55758/

I have a similar proposition. I have an 90* bracket coming (LB?) out of my house which is coming directly from the panel inside. The circuit is only for the garage and 1 other existing outlet (outside the garage). So currently, not a very heavy load. This is a 15A circuit.

My question is... is it relatively easy for a DIY'r to swap out the LB for an outdoor outlet? Attached are what I already have. I want to go from A to B. In general, would it basically just be pulling off the LB, adding a box, cut and connecting the wires, add the in-use cover? Maybe I'm just to naive to think that, but it doesn't appear to be too complicated.

Advise is greatly appreciated, you guys are the best!

electures 05-29-2012 12:16 PM

Sounds like you have the right idea.

Code05 05-29-2012 12:25 PM

You will probably need to do a little finagling, but that is doable and legal.

k_buz 05-29-2012 12:36 PM

I'm not sure if this is a local thing or not (and all the willpower I had has been used up trying to define terminate) but the garage would need to be on a separate circuit, and since the outlet you want to install would be on the house, you could not legally install a GFI receptacle in place of the LB.

Eusibius2 05-29-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 931342)
I'm not sure if this is a local thing or not (and all the willpower I had has been used up trying to define terminate) but the garage would need to be on a separate circuit, and since the outlet you want to install would be on the house, you could not legally install a GFI receptacle in place of the LB.

If it's illegal, I'm guessing it's because there's a danger involved, so what's the danger in installing a GFCI on the side of the house where the LB is?

Thanks for the help - BTW, I'm in the Chicago area if it matters.

curiousB 05-29-2012 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe get one of these LB extender bodies attached instead of the LB front plate and use it to adapt to a weatherproof box for the GFCI receptacle. Orient the adapter upward and mount the GFCI box on top of that.

k_buz 05-29-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eusibius2 (Post 931352)
If it's illegal, I'm guessing it's because there's a danger involved, so what's the danger in installing a GFCI on the side of the house where the LB is?

Thanks for the help - BTW, I'm in the Chicago area if it matters.

You guess wrong. There are many things the code prohibits that are not dangerous.

Eusibius2 05-29-2012 01:28 PM

Ok - well, then I guess I'm completely missing you point. Other than 'it may or may not be against code' to which you can't confirm or deny. Ever work in politics? LOL

I'll look around some more...

mpoulton 05-29-2012 02:00 PM

That LB extender is a great idea! I've never seen one before. It's perfect for this, since removing the LB with conduit screwed into both holes is very difficult, and installing a new box on the threaded stubs is almost impossible. And you'd have to remove and re-pull the wire from the LB to the panel. Using the extender you could just slap it on there and run a new circuit from the panel through the LB. No need to disturb the existing wiring.

jbfan 05-29-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_buz (Post 931342)
I'm not sure if this is a local thing or not (and all the willpower I had has been used up trying to define terminate) but the garage would need to be on a separate circuit, and since the outlet you want to install would be on the house, you could not legally install a GFI receptacle in place of the LB.

That must be a local thing.
I haven't seen anything like that in the code book.

rjniles 05-29-2012 03:31 PM

I would drill a hole in the side of the LB and install a 1/2" male adapter and run a short piece of conduit to a new box for the GFCI. Might be a minor code violation (modifying a UL listed device).

You may not have enough slack in the LB to make a splice. I would make a new run back to the breaker panel.

Macro 05-29-2012 03:36 PM

Let's clarify something here. This garage is a detached structure and that pipe coming out of your house is going underground and over to the detached structure, correct?

Eusibius2 05-29-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macro
Let's clarify something here. This garage is a detached structure and that pipe coming out of your house is going underground and over to the detached structure, correct?

Yup. Exactly

curiousB 05-29-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjniles (Post 931459)
I would drill a hole in the side of the LB and install a 1/2" male adapter and run a short piece of conduit to a new box for the GFCI. Might be a minor code violation (modifying a UL listed device).

You may not have enough slack in the LB to make a splice. I would make a new run back to the breaker panel.


Along those lines how about a weatherproof box with the hole in the back. Remove LB cover and throw away. Drill a couple holes in back of box to line up with screw holes of LB and screw the box in as the cover to the LB (reuse the LB cover gasket). Just be sure to center the knockout in back of the box is in the middle of the LB. Then wire in GFCI in the front of the new box. Install weatherproof cover as normal. Only modification is two 3/16" holes in back of box.

Macro 05-29-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eusibius2 (Post 931499)
Yup. Exactly

Then you won't be able to use that circuit, but you should be able to pull a new one from the panel. It would be even easier than using the existing circuit since you won't have to try and find enough slack in the wires to splice in the receptacle.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved