Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring for OTR Microwave

I recently decided to replace our existing range hood with an OTR Microwave. Our house was built in 2008 and the breaker box has a 20a breaker labeled "Range Hood" so I figured it was on it's own circuit and would not have any issues. In an effort to not electrocute myself I hired an electrician to install an outlet from the hardwire used for the range hood. Upon doing this we discovered the breaker labeled "Range Hood" also has our gas stove, refrigerator, and two plugins from our living room on it. The electrician I used told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as the breaker holds up. So my couple of questions are:

1. Is there a safety/fire hazard with this at all?

2. Is there an easy way to take this wire and make it a dedicated line without running a new wire? (The electrician quoted me over $1000 to run a new line to the breaker because he said they would have to run it outside around the house)

3. Isn't it some kind of code violation putting all of those things on the same breaker when they built the house in 2008? Would it be possible to go after the builder to get this fixed or am I out of luck?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

waffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Your out of luck.
Micro Wave should be on it's own circuit.
I'd get another quote or two.
Single story house?
Slab foundation?
Just trying to figure out why the wire needs to be run outside.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffer View Post
I recently decided to replace our existing range hood with an OTR Microwave. Our house was built in 2008 and the breaker box has a 20a breaker labeled "Range Hood" so I figured it was on it's own circuit and would not have any issues. In an effort to not electrocute myself I hired an electrician to install an outlet from the hardwire used for the range hood. Upon doing this we discovered the breaker labeled "Range Hood" also has our gas stove, refrigerator, and two plugins from our living room on it. The electrician I used told me it shouldn't be a problem as long as the breaker holds up. So my couple of questions are:

2. Is there an easy way to take this wire and make it a dedicated line without running a new wire? (The electrician quoted me over $1000 to run a new line to the breaker because he said they would have to run it outside around the house)

3. Isn't it some kind of code violation putting all of those things on the same breaker when they built the house in 2008? Would it be possible to go after the builder to get this fixed or am I out of luck?

1- Your pushing your luck, load wise ! And the quote from the electrician backs that up.
Borderline riskwise !

2 - What other circuits are nearby, that you might be able to use ?
$1000 seems a bit steep ? What sort of distances are in involved ?
Get more quotes !

3 - I think code wise, microwaves need dedicated circuits !
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Wiring for OTR Microwave

What you have now was not even close to code complaint, especially as new as 2008.
No way I'd risk adding the OTR on with the refer.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-25-2014), oh'mike (01-23-2014), plummen (01-22-2014), stickboy1375 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Wiring for OTR Microwave

How far from the panel to the OTR receptacle, and what would prevent you from running a new line either by fishing through the walls from panel to receptacle, or using an attic to go up from the breaker panel, and back down to a new receptacle?

If you're handy, you ought to be able to do this yourself (with our help), and relocate the existing circuits correctly.
plummen (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Wiring for OTR Microwave

You have issues man...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #7

Wiring for OTR Microwave

The panel is on the opposite end of the house located in the garage. I don't see a reason why a new line could go through the attack to the other end the house, down the wall right into the garage where the panel is. The electrician said the line needed to be ran outside and around the house because he thought it would be easier than tearing up drywall in the basement.

Isn't this something the city inspector should have caught when they put their inspection stamp on the house when it was built?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Quote:
The panel is on the opposite end of the house located in the garage. I don't see a reason why a new line could go through the attack to the other end the house, down the wall right into the garage where the panel is. The electrician said the line needed to be ran outside and around the house because he thought it would be easier than tearing up drywall in the basement.

Isn't this something the city inspector should have caught when they put their inspection stamp on the house when it was built?
They are not liable, but someone got what they paid for....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #9
DIY staff

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Back when your house was built there was not a microwave installed there

perhaps not even an exhaust fan---

The new over the stove microwaves need a dedicated circuit---I've learned that the hard way---find a route for the new wire---
stickboy1375 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #10

Wiring for OTR Microwave

I replaced a range hood exhaust vent with a microwave. I ran a new circuit from the main panel through the attic and down the inside wall above the microwave. It cost me about $65 for parts and about 4 hrs labor. $1000 seems high even at electrician labor rates.

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum
dmclean701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #11

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Quote:
it seems like going through the attic would be much easier, safer and cheaper than going outside. It should be quite easy to do.
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-25-2014), oh'mike (01-24-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #12

Wiring for OTR Microwave

So I finally had my new microwave delivered today and it has been successfully installed. The owners manual says "For best operation, plug this appliance into its own electrical outlet to prevent flickering of lights, blowing of fuse or tripping of circuit breaker." Does this mean it isn't required to be on its own circuit?

I have decided to attempt to run a new wire on my own. My plan is to go straight up into the attic, over to the other side of the house, down a wall straight into the garage and then over to the circuit box. Seems pretty straight forward for the most part.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Licensed Electrician

Wiring for OTR Microwave

NEC code requires the micro to be on it's own circuit, even if the manufacturer does not...assuming the micro is rated 1200 Watts or more.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Quote:

NO .. since the frig circuit is 20 amp ....
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #15

Wiring for OTR Microwave

Quote:
The owners manual says "For best operation, plug this appliance into its own electrical outlet to prevent flickering of lights, blowing of fuse or tripping of circuit breaker." Does this mean it isn't required to be on its own circuit?
No, it means that it should be on it's own circuit, and as k_buz states, it must be, per NEC.