Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Is this wiring OK?

I moved into this house and I noticed that the plug from the microwave goes into the cabinet above it and is plugged into a plug. The plug then has wires that goes into the wall and is hard wired to a receptacle. Does that meet code? Also this same 20amp circuit controls 3 receptacle counter level, a receptacle for the oven (10amp) and a receptacle for the the refridge (6.5amp). Is that OK also?

timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this wiring OK?

No it don't meet the current code at all the above microwave cabent the circuit must be it own circuit per NEC code the counter top must have GFCI and yes the gaz stove can be on this circuit as well.

Merci.

Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Is this wiring OK?

Frenchelectrician makes a good point about the NEC , but dealing with an existing system our options are limited . If you are asking about the receptical being in the cabinet with the microwave plunged into it , then that is okay . The microwave should have it's own circuit per NEC as well as practical reasons , The frig compressor and the microwave at the same time can cause on overload , especally if you add a toaster . I would strongly sugest to run a new circuit to the microwave .
I had to do that when I moved into mine as well as a lot of other rediculos crap , like splices in the attic with no junction boxes .
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

Is this wiring OK?

I have a similar plug, but not used for a microwave
I put my fridge on its' own 15a circuit using 12-2 wire
I also seperated my 2 kitchen outlets onto 2 seperate 20a circuits

Your concern should be more then what NEC requires
My concern was being able to plug things in without tripping a breaker
And eliminating anyone plugging something into the fridge outlet & kicking off that breaker

How old is the house?
Any plans to renovate the kitchen?
Is it easy to run a new wire, room in breaker panel?

We lived here for 4 years before I redid the kitchen wiring
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Is this wiring OK?

I want to make it little more clear due Electro brought up good point with the exsting wiring in the building and I did relized what he getting to the point here anyway let me expand little more here.

The NEC code is just a guideline with minuim requirement but in actual requirement it will varies alot and more likely we use the common sense as well and in Kitchen area I am pretty sure you are aware that one of very strict area in the house and anytime you plan to rewire or add a circuit in Kitchen area we try to cover all base much as we can per code requirement.

Typically with new construction setup or full rewire I go above the NEC code requirement plus any local code addtional requirements

This what I useally do most case

Fride own circuit
At least min of two small appalice branch circuits { larger kitchen end up 3 or more circuits }
Microwave oven own circuit
Dishwasher on it own circuit
Garbage dispoal on own circuits { some case I will run MWBC for both DW and GD }
Lighting circuits
Range { stove } circuit ( unless you have wall oven and countertop burners then I run them seperated circuits )

Merci.

Marc
Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

Is this wiring OK?

The house is about 30 years old and the previous owners did the kitchen rehab but apparently they did not care about the wiring. With the oven, microwave, refridge and 3 other receptacles being on the same 20amp circuit, I guess I won't push my luck and tie the new under counter lighting to that circuit. The breaker has not tripped yet in my 1.5 years being here.
timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Is this wiring OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchi29 View Post
The house is about 30 years old and the previous owners did the kitchen rehab but apparently they did not care about the wiring. With the oven, microwave, refridge and 3 other receptacles being on the same 20amp circuit, I guess I won't push my luck and tie the new under counter lighting to that circuit. The breaker has not tripped yet in my 1.5 years being here.
I want to give you a head up the undercounter top luminaire if hardwired verison do not tied to the kitchen appalince circuit it must be on lighting circuit but if that cord and plug verison you are ok.

Merci.
Marc
Old 10-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Is this wiring OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchi29 View Post
I moved into this house and I noticed that the plug from the microwave goes into the cabinet above it and is plugged into a plug. The plug then has wires that goes into the wall and is hard wired to a receptacle.
This part does NOT meet code, if I understand you post correctly.

The way I read this is that your microwave plug is connected to another cord, which is going into the wall and somehow entering a box containing a receptacle and is connected to the back of the receptacle. Is this correct?

Pictures would be great...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Is this wiring OK?

The plug in the cabinet is ok, in fact think it has to be this way. Just make sure there's a plate on the plug. I've seen people not put a plate, can turn that cabinet into a box of surprises if you reach in too far to look for something.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Is this wiring OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
The plug in the cabinet is ok, in fact think it has to be this way.
I agree, plugging in the microwave cord into a receptacle in the cabinet above it is OK.

But the OP says he "the plug from the microwave goes into the cabinet above it and is plugged into a plug".... This is NOT OK if he means the microwave cord goes up into the cabinet above it, and plugs into another "plug" with wires attached (doesn't say it is a receptacle), and the wires disappear into the wall and attach to a receptacle somewhere to get power.

Timchi29 needs to clarify what he has.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #11

Is this wiring OK?

I've seen probably about a dozen instances where someone has taken an extension cords and cut the end off it and wired directly to either light or outlet. Ussually severally pinching the cord between the coverplate and box to boot.

If your not tripping breakers I wouldn't loose too much sleep about the other issues, but if you have what I describe above (and williswires before me) it has to go.

LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote