Originally Posted by nlsnrn
yes there are two screws on one side and one green screw on the other side. When I removed the old switch there was a black wiring going into a small hole on top and then a black wire with the insulation cut off in the middle and wrapped around the bottom screw and then a ground wiring wrapped around the ground screw. I have a picture attached to this message to show what I mean. No I did not remove any screws...
Not sure why there is a hot wire not connected to anything. Besides that, if what you describe is how it is connected, here's what I'd do:
- Cut that wire that the insulation is removed halfway in the middle of the bare copper part.
- Attach a pigtail (short wire) to those 2 wires (3 wires under wirenut)
- Terminate the pigtail on the switch.
- Terminate the other wire and ground on the switch.
- Cap off the other unused hot wire.
- Put everything back together and turn power on and test.
- Have a beer.