Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring in new light

I am adding a light in my bedroom. The box that I have brought the wire into has a single pole switch in it. There are only a black and a white wire (other than the ground wire) in it that go to a wall outlet that the switch turns on and off.
I' am trying to figure out how to wire in my new light into the box. Can anyone help?

John

MrTradeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Wiring in new light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTradeshow View Post
I am adding a light in my bedroom. The box that I have brought the wire into has a single pole switch in it. There are only a black and a white wire (other than the ground wire) in it that go to a wall outlet that the switch turns on and off.
I' am trying to figure out how to wire in my new light into the box. Can anyone help?

John
The switch box you ran to from the light fixture, does not have a neutral wire. It sounds like that box contains a switch leg (hot) from, and back to, the switched receptacle outlet. You need a neutral for your new light fixture. There would be a neutral wire in the receptacle outlet box.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 PM   #3

Wiring in new light

My problem is that to get to the recepticle I would have to cut through three wall studs to get to it.
There is another switch on the opposite side of the wall that may have a neutral as I know it is a three way. would I be able to tie into a neutral there?

jack
MrTradeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #4

Wiring in new light

Quote:
My problem is that to get to the recepticle I would have to cut through three wall studs to get to it.
There is another switch on the opposite side of the wall that may have a neutral as I know it is a three way. would I be able to tie into a neutral there?

jack
I doubt very much you will find a neutral in a three way switch. Sounds like the power and switch leg is going to the switch from the recp. What I would do is first disconnect power to the device you are working on. (at the breaker panel) Then I would disconnect the switch altogether from the recp thats both ends. Then I would fine a junction box or light box on the same circuit if possible. Run romex from the new source to your new light box..run your switch wires to the same box. Now this is were you really have to watch what you are doing. The white wire from the power source hooks to the light. The Black wire from the power source to the white wire going to the switch. The black wire from the switch to the black wire on the light. Is there any chance of you wanting a fan there as well? In that case run aa 3 wire to your switch box.

I highly recommend that you get an electrician to preform this work or at least inspect BEFORE you turn it back on.
rong1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Wiring in new light

Quote:

jack
There is a possibility you may find a neutral in the box with the three way switch. It depends how things were wired up. Pull the switch out and look for a white wire which is spliced and running through the box, not connected to the switch. Be aware, all the conductors to the new light fixture must be run together. You cannot run the hot wire to one box and the neutral to another box.