Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Professional Wood Shafter

Share |

Wiring new hot water tank from outlet

The builder just ran a 20A circuit to a receiptacle and left the wire in the box. The hot water tank has the junction box on top. So can i just get a wallplate cover for conduit and just run a conduit line up the wall to the junction box on the hot water tank?

thanks

ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

At least in the US most water heaters require a 240 volt 30 amp circuit. What does your WH call for on the nameplate?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Gas or electric water heater? Total wattage rating if an electric unit?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #4

Its a 3000 watt electric 240V @ 20 AMP rated.

How do i run conduit from an outlet to the junction box on top of the tank?

Last edited by ryanh; 07-03-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

I am not sure what the Canada code will allow flexiable conduit from the waterheater junction box to the junction box on the wall but I know you mention " outlet " box is that a real receptale or just a hardwired set up ?

If you going to be hardwired set up you will need some fourm of disconnection switch if not in sight of the loadcentre { Canadaian electricians please confirm this part SVP. }

otherwise if the code are the same with NEC then I really advise you plan ahead to deal with the waterheater circuit like what in USA we have to use 6.0mm˛ { #10 AWG } in case someone will put in larger water heater or change to higher wattage element.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I am not sure what the Canada code will allow flexiable conduit from the waterheater junction box to the junction box on the wall but I know you mention " outlet " box is that a real receptale or just a hardwired set up ?

If you going to be hardwired set up you will need some fourm of disconnection switch if not in sight of the loadcentre { Canadaian electricians please confirm this part SVP. }

otherwise if the code are the same with NEC then I really advise you plan ahead to deal with the waterheater circuit like what in USA we have to use 6.0mm˛ { #10 AWG } in case someone will put in larger water heater or change to higher wattage element.

Merci,Marc
Thats a great point, 10awg should always be used more elements over 3500 watts..

So how does one wire for a electric water heater in new construction homes? Especially for water tank located in a drywalled room. I havent seen a electric water heater setup before , usually we use natural gas
Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh View Post
Thats a great point, 10awg should always be used more elements over 3500 watts..
Yeah I have see majorty of electric water heaters are wired much higher wattage typically 4500 watts but some case 5500 watters @240 volts { the 208 volts will be lower on wattage }

Quote:
So how does one wire for a electric water heater in new construction homes? Especially for water tank located in a drywalled room. I havent seen a electric water heater setup before , usually we use natural gas
For finished wall we will have a switch box or disconnect switch with flexibale conduit whipped out of the wall or use the 4X4 blank cover with 1/2 inch KO { Knockout opening } one of the two and if you are not in sight of the load centre you have to put a " local " disconnect switch per NEC code requirement but I do not know if the Canada do follow this part same way or not.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #8

The service panel is in the same room as the water heater just on the opposite wall.

I wasn't sure if i could get a wall plate cover that had knock outs in it. I didn't see any at the stores.. I will have to keep looking. thanks for the help guys
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

All you need is a 7/8" hole saw to make your knockout opening in a blank plate. Connect your flex from the blank plate to the water heater.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Electrician

12/2 on the 20A circuit ia fine, no need for a disconnect.

Any wiring that is exposed and within 1.5M(roughly 5') of the floor needs to be mechanical protected. Since most HWT fall into this I would run a piece of 12/2 armoured cable up to your junction box and make joints.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #11

Both elements don't run at the same time do they? 3000 watts upper and 3000 waters lower.. I'm not sure how an electric hot water tank works but im guessing both elements don't run at the same time?