Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #1

Share |

wiring new garage/barn

I am trying to figure the best and right way to get power to the garage from the house..ok this is how my electric is run to my house.. underground from utility pole to meter then to a 200amp outdoor breaker box which feeds a 200amp breaker box inside and has 1 breaker that feeds the well. I need to figure how to get the electric to the garage off the outdoor box..some has told me just to add a 200amp breaker box in the garage fed off the outdoor box others has said to change the main breaker in the house to a 100 and the garage to a 100. I am so confused!! The garage will be running a welder,air compressor,lots of lighting,office with computers and so on. please i need alot of help
joe
jnjengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Union Electrician

wiring new garage/barn

This sounds like a job for a qualified electrician. It sounds like you're going to have a lot of equipment in the garage. That said, I (or anyone else) could tell you what size sub panel you'll need there without a load calculation. That said, I doubt you'll need to run an additional 200 service out there. But the only way to know is a load calc.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #3

wiring new garage/barn

sounds in depth. I just finished wiring new outlets and switches in my de-attached garage, and luckly the last owner had a subpanel installed in the house basement, then a panel installed in the garage (its upside down lol). good luck, sounds like ur gonna be running a nice business in there
BleachCola is offline   Reply With Quote