Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring a new closet light

Just wanted to get some expert advise. I am installing a new ceiling light in a walk in closet. Currenrtly there is no fixture or wiring present. I have installed the correct box and secured it. Now is where is have some doubt.

I am hoping to use power from a switch or outlet on the outside wall. How would I properly connect to power from an exsiting switch or outlet for my new light with a switch?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

co-bob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #2

First of all, you cannot put an uncovered light fixture in there (the conventional ceramic based socket and bulb type). You didn't mention what type you have, so I just wanted to give a heads up before going any further.

Can you tell us what you already have?

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Sorry, first post on here.

I have multiple different fixtures to use, none of which are the old ceramic palte and bulb. I have a 3 light small halogne "track" fixture, and enclosed golbe ceiling mount and a pendant fixture.
co-bob47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Is the receptacle from which you propose to get power already controlled by a switch? Or is it always live? If it's live, that's your best bet.

The switch may or may not have all the wires you need to feed your new switch/light. If you'd rather feed your new stuff from the switch, you need to see how many wires are in the switch box. If the only wires in the box are the two connected to the switch, you can't use it to feed the new light. If you have the two connected to the switch plus 2 wires in the back of the box, you can use it.

The rules are very specific for closet lights. NO exposed bulbs, they must be completely enclosed. Additional rules regarding incandescent vs. fluorescent vs. LED. Basically, if your light will be closer than 12" from ANY storage space (whether you currently use it or not), it must be a Fluorescent fixture. Putting a CFL bulb in an incandescent socket does not meet this requirement. The fixture would have to be fluorescent only.

Luminaire = Fixture
Lamp = Bulb
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring a new closet light-closetlum.jpg  

Last edited by secutanudu; 06-10-2011 at 06:47 AM.
secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena3 View Post
Your plan of a fluorescent fixture on the wall above the door is probably the only kind that would be allowed by code in a closet that shallow (due to separation requirements). The bulb must be covered.

In closets this shallow, it is typical to mount the light just outside the closet (to reduce the risk of fire).
Whose plan? Where do you see dimensions of the closet?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Just my plan

My Civil engineer did it perfectly well in my home, dimensions were decided by him!
I may be misreading this but, we don't get to make decisions like which clearance dimensions are ok. This is spelled out in the electrical codes and needs to be followed, not based on whims and wishes. It may not be perfectly well despite your thoughts.
SD515 (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by co-bob47 View Post
Just wanted to get some expert advise. I am installing a new ceiling light in a walk in closet. Currenrtly there is no fixture or wiring present. I have installed the correct box and secured it. Now is where is have some doubt.

I am hoping to use power from a switch or outlet on the outside wall. How would I properly connect to power from an exsiting switch or outlet for my new light with a switch?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Your plan of a fluorescent fixture on the wall above the door is probably the only kind that would be allowed by code in a closet that shallow (due to separation requirements). The bulb must be covered.

In closets this shallow, it is typical to mount the light just outside the closet (to reduce the risk of fire).
It has been my experience that walk in closets are not considered shallow.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closet, new light, outlet, switch, wiring