Wiring For New Bedrooms - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wiring for new bedrooms

I'm having a new house built by a general contractor. The electrician proposes to put more than one bedroom on a 15-amp circuit for outlets. Light fixtures will not be on that circuit. Should I insist on no more that one bedroom per outlet circuit? In other words, what is the chance of exceeding 15 amps with the proliferation of electronic devices, maybe a box fan or a room air cleaner, and an iron or a vacuum cleaner, and maybe something I haven't though of?

Advertisement

Last edited by Sammy Weld; 10-19-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Sammy Weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Weld View Post
I'm having a new house built by a general contractor. The electrician proposes to put more than one bedroom on a 15-amp circuit for outlets. Light fixtures will not be on that circuit. Should I insist on no more that one bedroom per outlet circuit?

Only if your going to pay him. Its your money, pay for whatever you feel is quality.

Advertisement

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Wiring for new bedrooms

Sammy, why do you feel this is an improper installation? How many receptacles will be in each room?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #4

Wiring for new bedrooms

I will ask for 8 duplex outlets per bedroom, in an attempt to avoid the use of extension cords or cube taps. Note the second question I just added to my original post.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Only if your going to pay him. Its your money, pay for whatever you feel is quality.
Exactly!

Do you need a dedicated circuit for every bedroom?

Probably not.

If you want a dedicated circuit for every bedroom, that is certainly up to you. Tell the electrician that is what you would like and I'm sure he can accommodate you. It will cost more, but that's your decision.

If you are only using these circuits for general use purposes (TV, alarm clock, cell phone charger, an occasional vacuum cleaner) then one circuit for a couple rooms will be fine.

If you will have window AC units, multiple computers, space heaters, or other high amperage devices being used, then you may want individual circuits to each bedroom (or even multiple circuits to one large bedroom).

The bottom line is the electrician will probably be willing to do what ever you feel you need, as long as it is code compliant, and you are willing to pay for it.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Electrician

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
I will ask for 8 duplex outlets per bedroom, in an attempt to avoid the use of extension cords or cube taps. Note the second question I just added to my original post.

Believe it or not we actually have minimum codes. so you get what you pay for, bottom line. ( not trying to be rude )
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #7

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
Should I insist on no more that one bedroom per outlet circuit? In other words, what is the chance of exceeding 15 amps with the proliferation of electronic devices, maybe a box fan or a room air cleaner, and an iron or a vacuum cleaner, and maybe something I haven't though of?
This is ALL stuff you should have gone over with the guy BEFORE he started wiring and before he gave you a price.

I can see many change-orders in your future.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Electrician

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
This is ALL stuff you should have gone over with the guy BEFORE he started wiring and before he gave you a price.

I can see many change-orders in your future.
Change order is code for $$$$
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #9

Wiring for new bedrooms

Yes, EBFD6, you gave me good advice when you said I should work out how many bedroom circuits I want before I ask for a bid. Thatís exactly what I am doing. I was surprised when the electrician commented that he often puts more than one bedroom on a circuit. I had assumed those days were over in new construction. Maybe he normally works for speculators.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #10

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
I was surprised when the electrician commented that he often puts more than one bedroom on a circuit. I had assumed those days were over in new construction. Maybe he normally works for speculators.
Why do you say this?
Why do you assume this is sub-standard work?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #11
DIY'r

Rewards Points: 500

Wiring for new bedrooms

Sammy,

I'm with you on this one. If you can afford it comfortably then put each bed on a separate circuit. You never know what the next 50 years will bring in the way of loads.. might as well be thorough the first time.

I'm also with the other guys that there's nothing wrong with putting multiple bedrooms on one circuit. Most people will never get near 15A in a bedroom.. not even 5A.

I grew up in a house that had most of 3 bedrooms (lights and receptacles) and two bathrooms on the same 15A circuit. We only popped the circuit very occasionally.

I did get into computers and ended up needing to move all my gear out of my bedroom and into the basement b/c I was popping the circuit.. much to the irritation of other family members. So yeah, do separate circuits.

That's totally a 2c post.
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Wiring for new bedrooms

Receptacles by themselves are not a load, and it is unlikely that you would use them all at once anyway. As has been stated many times already, you can put each bedroom on a separate circuit. You can put each receptacle on it's own circuit if you can afford it. And while our overall consumption of electricity has increased, individual loads have gotten smaller over the years as efficiency has increased. Either way, I think you will be OK.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

Wiring for new bedrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Receptacles by themselves are not a load, and it is unlikely that you would use them all at once anyway. As has been stated many times already, you can put each bedroom on a separate circuit. You can put each receptacle on it's own circuit if you can afford it. And while our overall consumption of electricity has increased, individual loads have gotten smaller over the years as efficiency has increased. Either way, I think you will be OK.
Agree- I built an addition with 4 bedrooms and placed 2 rooms of outlets on one 20a circuit with lighting seperate. 2-20a, 2-15a circuits. With 4 teenagers occupying those rooms, I never had a problem of tripped breakers. This included boom boxes, guitar amps, hair dryers, computers, TV.
You can have all the outlets you need for convenience. I placed mine every 6 feet of wall space with 4 feet from the door and never had a problem.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Wiring for new bedrooms

These days of high energy costs, it can be more economical to run a space heater in the bedroom than heating the whole house at night. These draw a lot of power.

I would suggest a 20 amp circuit for each bedroom, then you could have a space heater in each bedroom plus whatever else.

Also in the summer a window air conditioner in the bedroom instead of cooling the whole house.

Basically you can do whatever you want. Even have two 20 amp circuits in each bedroom, one being a dedicated outlet for a space heater or A/C. This would be good for if you ever wanted a home office or whatever.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #15

Wiring for new bedrooms

For bedrooms in Canada (Manitoba) at least you need the duplex on Arc Fault circuit breaker usualy 15A and they are $80 a piece, so it'll add up fast if you want each room on different circuits. Not sure if you can put 20A in a bedroom here or not unless they have 20A Arc Fault circuit breakers??

Its better to spend the money now and put more in that you need. It;ll cost a LOT more money and time to fix this later. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all is what I always say.

Just my 2 cents

Advertisement

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote