Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

wiring my own home in mass

can i as the homeowner wire a room in my own home

2nd home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

You will need to check with your building officials. From my understanding Mass has some very strict requirements about who can install wiring in that state.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd home View Post
can i as the homeowner wire a room in my own home
You can do what ever you want with your home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You will need to check with your building officials. From my understanding Mass has some very strict requirements about who can install wiring in that state.
sir there is a small problem that i am running into the inspector is also an Electrician in the town so hes saying that I need a master electrician to do the wiring. I beleive that hes saying that because he wants to get work. Well if hes the inspector he can regulate the codes and thats not right is it and any advice on what to do. I am just trying to install outlets in my attic the lighting is already there it was done when we built the house and now i want to finish it off for a bedroom. I ran a feed to the panel and installed an afci breaker all outlets are less than 6 feet from eachother and all boxes are 16 inches off the ground and I wired my complete home in va including moving the meter to the side of the house and installed a 200 amp panel and gfci and afci breakers where they needed to bethe whole house passed rough insp and final no problems can you give me any advice
thanks
steve
2nd home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
sir there is a small problem that i am running into the inspector is also an Electrician in the town so hes saying that I need a master electrician to do the wiring. I beleive that hes saying that because he wants to get work.
First off, I think this is a bit of a stretch. If anything, like most of us he has probably seen some outrageous and even dangerous work from Home Depot warriors and handymen, on the advice of Home Depot "professionals" , and wants to try and prevent that. I certainly support this position and I am not in any position to get this job.

While in most places you can work in a home you OWN and OCCUPY, Mass does have some of the strictest rules regarding this. You may have to take a small competency test to prove you have at least enough clue to do the work safely. Again, I wish more areas had this policy.
Best bet is to go over his head and get proof and details regarding this. If you get no where simply ask him where that is in the code. Say: "Can you tell me where this is in the local municipal code? I'd like to better educate myself so I can be better informed for next time."
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,024

Yes we can!

er, in most cities and states the owner of a single family house may do his own electrical wiring.

Commercial and multi-family (including apartment style condominium units) residential work is more likely to require a licensed electrician.

In some places a separate permit, inspections, etc. are needed for changes to the main panel and upstream.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-06-2011 at 07:00 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You can do what ever you want with your home.
Here is just one example that says you can't, taken from the Baltimore City rules. A licensed contractor must sign for the permit.

Building Inspections Can Help.
In order to protect both public safety and property values
citywide, we issue building permits and perform associated
inspections to ensure that projects are completed
safely and in compliance with the City’s building code.
What requires a permit?
A permit is required to:

ish or move any structure
or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing
system

As a general rule of thumb, minor repairs do not usually
require permits, unless the item is being replaced
altogether or significantly altered. Renovations, modifications,
and reconstructions always require a permit.
This list below is not all-inclusive but is representative
of work that

requires a permit:
Introduction
Strengthening Neighborhoods – Permits & Building Inspections Handbook
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Why Do I Need a Permit?
a) It’s the law. Neglecting to obtain a permit when
required will result in fines and penalties.
b) Permits, and the inspection services provided
along with them, help ensure the safety, health,
and welfare of the citizens of Baltimore City. When
a permit is obtained, it ensures that related work
is performed by a licensed contractor, when or as
required, and that construction will be inspected
by a City inspector who will verify that the work has
been done safely and in compliance with the City’s
building code. Conformance with these standards
helps protect citizens from dangers such as structural
collapse and fire.
c) Permits help protect the value of your home. They
serve as proof to future buyers that work was performed
safely and correctly. Permits also help
ensure that a neighbor’s work, done properly, will
not damage your property.
2) Who is responsible for obtaining the permit?
The property owner is responsible for obtaining
the permit, although an authorized party may be
sent to physically apply for and receive the permit.
The owner must ensure that the contractor is
working within the permit’s scope.
3) If my contractor is licensed, do I still need a permit?
Yes. Proof of the contractor’s license is required
for obtaining most permits, but in no case
does a license substitute for a permit.
4) If I own the home and am the one doing the work,
do I need a permit?
Yes. If the work requires a permit, you need a permit,

even if you are the homeowner.

Last edited by Jim Port; 10-06-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Jim, I was joking. Yes it is bad enough in some areas, you have to have approval even if you want to open your drapes.

I would not be surprised if a lot forgive asking and just do, within proper codes, and no one ever knew the difference.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

Sorry Greg, I thought you were making a blanket statement that you could do whatever you wanted, regardless.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Jim, I figured that someone has to be sarcastic.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 532

I'm in MA and just went through this. It depends where you are in the state, some towns will let you pull a permit, others won't.

I've pulled permits in the past, no problem. The last time in June, he balked. Started complaining about people flipping houses, etc. I said, I'm not going anywhere, you know me, and I've done this before. He relented.

In my case the local inspector works in town as well.

If the inspector says no, you can appeal to the state but good luck.

His comments on the rough inspection, "it's a very neat job."

I just find it ironic that a homeowner in MA can do work without a permit, no problems, but if you want to get a permit, and have it inspected, they make you jump through hoops.
AandPDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
sir there is a small problem that i am running into the inspector is also an Electrician in the town so hes saying that I need a master electrician to do the wiring. I beleive that hes saying that because he wants to get work. Well if hes the inspector he can regulate the codes and thats not right is it and any advice on what to do. I am just trying to install outlets in my attic the lighting is already there it was done when we built the house and now i want to finish it off for a bedroom. I ran a feed to the panel and installed an afci breaker all outlets are less than 6 feet from eachother and all boxes are 16 inches off the ground and I wired my complete home in va including moving the meter to the side of the house and installed a 200 amp panel and gfci and afci breakers where they needed to bethe whole house passed rough insp and final no problems can you give me any advice
thanks
steve
Advice? Yes. Try some punctuation and coherent sentences.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
I'm in MA and just went through this. It depends where you are in the state, some towns will let you pull a permit, others won't.

I've pulled permits in the past, no problem. The last time in June, he balked. Started complaining about people flipping houses, etc. I said, I'm not going anywhere, you know me, and I've done this before. He relented.

In my case the local inspector works in town as well.

If the inspector says no, you can appeal to the state but good luck.

His comments on the rough inspection, "it's a very neat job."

I just find it ironic that a homeowner in MA can do work without a permit, no problems, but if you want to get a permit, and have it inspected, they make you jump through hoops.
This sort of nonsense is exactly why I never, ever pull a permit. Well, except for building an entire house, which I just finished doing. I do not want to be at the mercy of local, badge-heavy inspectors.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote