Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #1

Share |

Wiring my basement. Power from outlets to lights?

As I'm running the wire for my outlets, is it o.k. to send power to a light switch (and lights), then keep going to the rest of the outlets? Or should lights be on another circuit? Total of 3 (75watt max.) recessed cans. There will be some audio/video, a computer, sometimes a 100watt light (in the storage area) and maybe a vacuum that could all be on at the same time.

Actually I'll probably be sending power to 3 different switches along the way.

And when I send the power to the switch, I know it gets the black wire, can I just leave the white and ground wires uncut, and send them straight to the lights and stuff the extra slack from them in the box?

nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

Yes and no,
It depends on how many outlets you are planning to add in the basement.
It's best to install 20 amp wire to your outlets and a separate 15 amp circuit for the lights.
There's less chance of overloading the outlets.
You will still have lights if you do, or if you need to shut off that circuit.
If you need to work on the lighting circuit, you can plug in a lamp to the outlet circuit.

To push stripped, un-cut wires into one knock-out in a box is mickey-mousing it. That's what wire nuts are for.
If you're unsure, buy a book, or better yet call a licensed electrician, get a permit, and do the job right.
Have you seen History Channels' "Holmes Inspections"?

Do It Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

I didn't need a permit. I know. I was surprised too. And I'm pretty handy. I understand all the electrical. It's just those small details that this site is for. Isn't it? I'm using the existing power from the original switch to power only half the basement, and running a second switch for the other half. Why have all the lights on if we don't have to? So, after "daisy chaining" all the outlets, I can just run the power from the last outlet on the chain straight up about 3 feet, or I can run a whole new line all the way from the panel, using another 50 ft of cable (at least) through my maze of framing.

I figured the whole "mickey mousing" thing wasn't going to be a good idea. But I can still just run the power to the switch right? Then continue to the other outlets?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #4

OK here's the new way I went with....

Panel> 4 outlets> split to switch (to 1 100watt light), and 1 outlet> another switch (to 1 100 watt light)> one last outlet.
Then....
Panel> 4 outlets> switch> 3 recessed cans and track lighting.