DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wiring to multiple bathrooms question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jbfan 
#1 ·
I would like to know if code allows running 1-20 amp circuit to more than one bathroom.

I have a 1/2 bath on the main floor on one 20amp ckt (GFI outlet, light, and fan). I am finishing a basement bathroom which would have a GFI outlet, light, and fan/light. Can I run wiring from the same breaker to this new bathroom? The books I have on this topic are not clear if code allows this. Thanks.

#2 ·
This depends on what code cycle your books came from. This has changed a bit over the years.

Bottom line is if the circuit is feeding just receptacles, you can share it between different baths.
If the circuit has lighting, fans, etc, then it must be isolated to just that one bathroom.

#3 ·
In todays code, the bathroom circuit can feed all bath outlets, not including lights, or it can supply everything in one bath.
The best thing to do is supply your new bath with a new 20 amp citcuit and feed lights and fans fron there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.