Originally Posted by ron schenker
I believe another code is you cannot have a receptacle in a cabinet with doors?
Never heard that before. Every over the range micro has a receptacle in the cabinet.
The microwave circuit is required by code to be a dedicated circuit, but in older existing houses, many counter top units are run on an existing circuit, and work ok as long as it is not used at the same time as other countertop appliances like toasters or ovens that will overload the circuit.
The old exhaust vent power is also frequently used, although not technically legal either, and also works until other appliances overload the circuit, which is almost never dedicated, especially in older houses. This was less of a problem when typical microwaves were 600 to 750 watts, but most modern units are 1000 watts or more.