Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #1

Share |

Wiring Main Panel

Afternoon everyone,
I am a long time DIYer and have tackled a million projects (many of them electrical in nature) however this is my first time wiring a full panel / apartment from scratch. I have a basement that I am converting into an apartment and have just had a heavy up done to add a new 150A service to a new QO panel inside. From there, I took over and ran all the circuits for the apartment based on applicable local code.

I have attached a photo of the nearly finished panel (only a 50A Range circuit and 60A HVAC circuit remain incomplete when this was taken) and would simply like to know if there is anything glaringly incorrect about the terminations, routing, etc.

My largest question relates to the ground bar. The box is directly attached to the service Ground (top right of attached photo) and the ground bar is attached directly to the box. Is there any reason the ground bar should be bridged to the neutral bar? I cannot imagine why it would be, but want to confirm as I have been told conflicting things in this regard.

Thanks everyone for your time!

PS: Im aware wiring everything in 12ga to 20A breakers is overkill...but I simply don't trust renters to not overload circuits. Plus I got a killer deal on 1000ft of 12ga surplus which made it cheaper than running 14ga
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Main Panel-photo-14-.jpg  

rinacaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Wiring Main Panel

WOW! That is one neat looking panel. A little OCD, are we? (nothing wrong with OCD BTW)

(sorry, no help with the question).

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Wiring Main Panel

That is not your service panel so the neutrals and grounds need to be kept separate as they are.

Nice looking panel.
jbfan (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Wiring Main Panel

Does your code require AFCI or GFCI circuit protection?
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Wiring Main Panel

Thanks Jim and Beepster, thanks for the quick and helpful feedback and yes I may just be a little OCD

SixSpeed - We are still on the 2005 NEC and unless I am reading it wrong only requires GFCI at the receptacle, which I have in the kitchen, bath, and HVAC service receptacles. As for AFCI, while its specified in the 2005 NEC for bedroom branch circuits... Ive been told the AHJ makes them optional at this time. That being said, I will likely go ahead and install them though for added safety.
rinacaja is offline   Reply With Quote