Wiring Made Simplified...NOT! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Wiring made simplified...NOT!

I have been remodeling and I have a couple of electrical snafu's. Please come to my rescue!!
I installed 2 GFCI's in the upstairs baths....they were working fine...I installed 1 in the downstairs bath and now none of them are working......what'd I do wrong???
The second question is in the downstairs bathroom, I am changing out 1 switch to match colors. When I pulled it out, it has 3 wires and a ground, 2 black and 1 red + ground. The old switch has 2 terminals with 1 wired with a black wire (around terminal) with the red installed into the whiz wire receptacle and the the other black is wired to the other terminal screw.
I have a 2 way switch(terminals same side) and a 3 way switch(2 brass terminals opposite side and a black terminal....which 1 should I use and how should I configure wiring?
Help!!!

Advertisement

slwgo4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

We'd love to help but

Quote:
I installed 1 in the downstairs bath and now none of them are working......what'd I do wrong???

How could we possibly know what you did wrong? You gave no information.

Re check/tighten all connections. Line = power in, load = power out (GFCI protected)

2nd question is easier.

The two black wires are power in and power out. The red goes to the light.

Use the single pole switch (says on/off and has 2 terminals)

A) Hook it up just like it was. Red to one screw terminal, black to one terminal, stab the second black into the back hole by the black wire

B) Make a pigtail. Cut a 6" piece of black wire, wire nut it tightly with the 2 black wires and tuck it into the box. You now hace a black and a red that attach to the switch (terminals or backstab).

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Not nice....

Thank you for your help on question 2.
slwgo4it
slwgo4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwgo4it View Post
I installed 2 GFCI's in the upstairs baths....they were working fine...I installed 1 in the downstairs bath and now none of them are working......what'd I do wrong???
Tell us what wires are in the dwnstrs GFI box and what got hooked to where...should be an easy fix.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

For the future... It is a good idea to label each wire as to what it is connected to before disconnecting something. Or take pictures as well as label wires. Then write on the picture where each wire went.

Also try pressing the reset buttons on *all* GFCI's as well as checking the circuit breakers. A tripped circuit breaker may look like it is on.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote