Wiring To Light Post - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 33

Wiring to light post

I'm looking to install a light post in my backyard. I am hoping to get some advice, and I know electrical codes differ -- I'm in Texas (Houston).

The post would be about 1-2m from an unfinished garage (hardiplank). I want to tap into the power somewhere inside the garage, run the power to outside, install an outlet on the outside (I figured I may need one at some other time) and also drop a power line from that outlet down into the ground and run it to the location of the post. The entire run is under lawn (grass).

Since I want to do this correctly, hopefully someone can help with the following questions:

1. Since I am not using an existing outlet, I am thinking to feed the power through a hole in the wall (not cut out an outlet) and use a surface mounted box with an in-use cover. What type of box should I be using, plastic, metal? and if the entire garage is already on a GFCI, do I still need to use a GFCI?

2. When I drop the line into the ground, what is the proper way to protect it from the garden guy with his weedwacker? PVC? And do I need any type of reinforcement such as pouring cement?

3. What is the proper conduit to use that would give me the least trouble? And should the conduit run the whole run of the cable?

4. At the light pole, I've seen people pouring cement around the conduit. is that required? My pole will be sitting on a stacked stone column (~ 1ft tall) on top of compacted gravel.

5. What is the correct way for me to attach the box on hardiplank?

I do have quite a bit of experience wiring stuff indoors, but outdoors is a new experience for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by injvstice; 02-03-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Clairified that it's under lawn.
injvstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Wiring to light post

Plastic bell box, surface mounted, fed from the back. PVC conduit down the wall and to the the light. Some codes say 12" and others say 18" deep. You can bring romex into the box. Code says THNN from box to light; don't forget to color code your wires if you just buy one color.

Advertisement

Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,572

Wiring to light post

THNN is not good for under ground. You need THWN. The W is for wet. Most wire is rated for both so it really may not matter.
Colbyt (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Wiring to light post

Quote:
Originally Posted by injvstice View Post
I'm looking to install a light post in my backyard. I am hoping to get some advice, and I know electrical codes differ -- I'm in Texas (Houston).

The post would be about 1-2m from an unfinished garage (hardiplank). I want to tap into the power somewhere inside the garage, run the power to outside, install an outlet on the outside (I figured I may need one at some other time) and also drop a power line from that outlet down into the ground and run it to the location of the post. The entire run is under lawn (grass).

Since I want to do this correctly, hopefully someone can help with the following questions:

1. Since I am not using an existing outlet, I am thinking to feed the power through a hole in the wall (not cut out an outlet) and use a surface mounted box with an in-use cover. What type of box should I be using, plastic, metal? and if the entire garage is already on a GFCI, do I still need to use a GFCI?

2. When I drop the line into the ground, what is the proper way to protect it from the garden guy with his weedwacker? PVC? And do I need any type of reinforcement such as pouring cement?

3. What is the proper conduit to use that would give me the least trouble? And should the conduit run the whole run of the cable?

4. At the light pole, I've seen people pouring cement around the conduit. is that required? My pole will be sitting on a stacked stone column (~ 1ft tall) on top of compacted gravel.

5. What is the correct way for me to attach the box on hardiplank?

I do have quite a bit of experience wiring stuff indoors, but outdoors is a new experience for me. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you have a GFCI breaker in the Shed or are they GFCI receptacles??

I would use 12/2 with ground UF-B which can be direct buried 18" underground. Run the cable all the way to the lamp post. If you have to exit the ground at the post to enter the post, you will need a weatherproof box for connections where the cable is exposed.

You would need schedule 80 PVC where the UF exits the ground and goes into the BELL BOX where you'd place the receptacle.

If you tap a receptacle in the shed that is GFCI protected, then the outside receptacle will also be protected.

Please explain how the shed is currently GFCI protected?