Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |

wiring a light fixture to an existing plug receptacle box?

I bought an under counter light fixture and I want to know if and how to wire this light fixture to an existing nearby plug receptacle box for power.

San Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Yes as long as you follow proper rules. What is the lighting in question that you are going to be using?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #3

The fixture is an under counter flourscent light fixture that I bought from Lowe's. It has wiring to either plug directly into an outlet or to hard wire it. I want to hard wire it to another plug receptacle box nearby for power if I can. What wires to what terminals on the receptacle.
Thanks, Mike
San Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Lighting cannot be hard wired to the small appliance branch circuits in the kitchen.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

How hard would it be for you to pull for the lighting circuit Mike, so you can hook that light up?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

I know that Jim, but I figured take it a step at a time with helping, instead of throwing it all out there. At least with my current mid-reno, I still have the option of moving circuits around, or adding on to the lighting circuit, if my wife decides to do like Mike is asking. Since we have not patched the holes that were made when installing the new work boxes for a couple of switches.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

If that is what the Op was proposing there is no reason to give someone instructions on how to install something when there are code rules against it.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

But of course Jim, you know that that never happens. How many times have you come across a situation, that a person did not follow the rules, and then you have to clean up their mess. When I redid the electric in this house, including the mirror in the bath that had lights, the wiring was taped, and not in the junction box in the top of the medicine cabinet portion of the mirror. The wiring for the garage was NM ran underground, tied into a outlet, and wired with an incorrect switch leg. There was also other various wiring nightmares for other outlets. Of course, it did not rate up there, with the 16awg zip cord used for a porch light on the trailer I used to own, and the electric water heater wired into a 15 amp circuit, but the draw was 30 amps.

Personally, I hate having to redo stuff that OP do, when they do not follow the rules.